British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-16, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Questions about detecting cloth repros

On several occasions there have been discussions about how one knows that a particular cloth title or badge is repro. About 10 years ago, a lot of repro titles and formation patches hit the market. They were flogged in particular by one dealer who, when challenged repeatedly said he had acquired them from soldiers awaiting embarkation for D-Day / France in 1944. These titles were actually attributed to Pakistan or Indian reproduction.The characteristic "spaghetti" mess of embroidery on the reverse is a dead giveaway. Now, years later they are being offered again. Some were bought by collectors who believed them to be authentic, and now they have the provenance of having been in an established collection. A link to the two auctions. For those who collect cloth it may be wise to keep images of the badges for future reference.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTION-O...UAAOSwPc9Ww3VS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTION-O...wAAOSwQYZWw3gg

There is also a large lot of reproduction formation patches. http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTION-O...wAAOSwQYZWw3gg
Most experienced collectors would not be fooled by these lots.
Old 18-02-16, 06:31 PM

Thank you for the links. I have seen a number of these on the market over a number of years now.

Marc
Old 19-02-16, 06:17 AM

I'm intrigued that the Australian war-time vehicle signs of a native animal over a boomerang are still appearing as cloth 'formation patches' worn on the uniform. Allegedly discovered in the UK in an old tailor's shop....aren't they all.

Keith
Old 01-03-16, 03:19 AM

I see that the 18th Division badge I've been asking about in a separate thread is lurking in the middle of that sorry mess. Mystery solved, sigh...

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-03-16, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
I'm intrigued that the Australian war-time vehicle signs of a native animal over a boomerang are still appearing as cloth 'formation patches' worn on the uniform. Allegedly discovered in the UK in an old tailor's shop....aren't they all.

Keith
yeah keith, still people who believe there real. worn in ww2. doesnt matter how many times these items are discussed. still see them in good and big collections
bc
Old 04-03-16, 08:14 AM

I recently watched a documentary film on Netflix called the Ghost Army.
It was based on 23rd Headquarters Special Troops an American Army unit based on British ideas of using deception during WW2, they used many forms of deception such as inflatable vehicles,radio traffic and bogus troops etc, as well as an operation in the UK prior to the landings at Normandy they also staged 6 others on mainland Europe including the assault on Brest and the Crossing of the Rhine.
Early on in the documentary it was described how they would either locally source or make their own cloth formation signs to units that already existed,, I guess that this also happened in similar British and Commonwealth units, I would imagine there is the possibility that some of these badges are floating around somewhere.
Paul
Old 04-03-16, 10:03 AM

SOLD for £15 less than individual pieces sold as reproduction items so nobody was fooled, I think the spaghetti mess at the back of any cloth item is a very well known dead give away to all now.

Except the very young or new collectors

However even as a fledgling collector of 12 more years ago than I care to remember, best advice I ever had off a long established collector

"for every hidden nugget that has been genuinely missed and undervalued there are a million gilded turds waiting to catch you out"!
Old 04-03-16, 10:34 AM

So on that note throw some good book titles at me, if I keep tipsily buying cloth badges I'd better get some decent books.
I know there's Marc's books which I'm currently looking around for and I've read David Langley's co-authored book British Army Proficiency Badges- I must get my own copy it's such a good book, easily the best reference book I read last year. I'm tending to pick up modern badges, and I use Robin Hodges book a lot, so what else is a must have?

Alli
Old 04-03-16, 03:53 PM

Default Questions about detecting cloth repros

Hello Tigerlily,
You may want to consider acquiring a copy of the following relatively new book, if copies of the second printing are still available; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3114852415...AIT&rmvSB=true. Although it contains some errors, it already has been recognized by collectors as an extremely conscientious and monumental effort. I immediately ordered a copy when it was first advertised last year, and like many others have been very impressed with the book. In my personal opinion it's well worth the price.

If you have the time, and are so inclined you may also want to glance at the following article incorporated in my blog page; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/p/british-militaria.html. It discusses in some detail the more common details of genuine versus fake British formation badges.

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 04-03-16, 04:13 PM

Hi Jim
yes he was offering a discount on it last year and I emailed him but never got a response, I will have a look around for a copy.

I'll check your blog out thank you, any other book recommendations gratefully received

Alli
Old 05-03-16, 12:44 AM

Default Books

Tigerlily,

Join the MHS they have still, I Think copies of Warnings pamphlets for sale.

Also Howard Cole's books.

John
Old 05-03-16, 06:15 AM

Thanks John
Yes I am a member of the MHS, I'll look into those.
Many thanks
Alli