British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-13, 08:18 PM

Default Patch pair for i.d.

Can anyone i.d. these 2 small patches? (35mm square).I I have a feeling they may be collars. For want of a better description I am calling the design 'cogwheel'. Thanks
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cogwheel.jpg (38.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 16-04-13, 08:52 PM

The design is similar to that of the World War One British 35th Division. Engage a bit of visual imagination and you'll see that the "cogwheel" is made up of seven fives (each five lying on its side)
But the sign is in Gunner colours so this could have been a regimental flash of a unit that served in Malta?
54 Bty will have a view on this. I've never seen an image of this sign being worn.
Mike
Old 17-04-13, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The design is similar to that of the World War One British 35th Division. Engage a bit of visual imagination and you'll see that the "cogwheel" is made up of seven fives (each five lying on its side)
But the sign is in Gunner colours so this could have been a regimental flash of a unit that served in Malta?
54 Bty will have a view on this. I've never seen an image of this sign being worn.
Mike
Mike,
Appreciate your feedback.
I understand the multiplication factor employed for arriving at 35. What isn't fully clear is the shape of the "cog's" teeth. They are not in pointed 'V' shape (for '5') but actually rounded. As for colours, these are black and white and at first glance appear similar to naval insignia. I cannot recall whether they actually came into my possession along with other naval items a lifetime ago. I have a feeling I researched them at the time but have since misplaced records.
Gard
Old 17-04-13, 08:47 AM

If those badges are black and white then I have a serious fault with the colour on my screen or my eyesight.

Marc
Old 17-04-13, 11:53 AM

Marc,
It is not just your screen My screen shows red on black.
Eddie
Old 17-04-13, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
If those badges are black and white then I have a serious fault with the colour on my screen or my eyesight.

Marc
I have often found difficulty when trying to distinguish between black, faded black, bluish-black, blackish-blue, dark blue, deep dark blue and a multitude of their hues. Before citing the patch colours I tried transposing on various items to see what the backing colour would better blend in with. It should be borne in mind that differing materials can also cloud the issue For better or worse, I came up with Black. I may be wrong, but then again.. Scans contain matching with 3rd Inf Div patch (not necessarily original) of Black and Red.
Gard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackandred_0001.jpg (89.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg blackandwhite_0002.jpg (36.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg blackandwhite_0003.jpg (91.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg blackandwhite_0004.jpg (29.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg blackandwhite_0005.jpg (29.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 17-04-13, 04:39 PM

Yes, definitely black....but it's the white Mark was questioning

As for the shape, they could be 35th Div, but because they are hand made they might not be 100% accurate to the original design
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 17-04-13, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Mike
As far as I can ascertain, there was no RA or RMA unit numbered 35 stationed on Malta during WW2. However the unit serial borne on the vehicles of 1st Coast Defence Regiment RMA was 35. It sounds a bit far-fetched but the WW2 74 Med Regt RA wore a regimental flash based on the "broken spur" sign of the WW1 74th Division - selected simply because the numerals matched.
Mike
Old 17-04-13, 07:28 PM

Thanks for all input.

Mike, please don't be misled with any possible Malta connection. I haven't attributed this possibility - yet. (Unless they belonged to a Bantam who relocated here)! They were obtained locally, true, but have since remained a mystery.
Gard
Old 18-04-13, 08:51 AM

The two attached photos of the WWI sign of 35th Division being worn may help.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 Div E Lancs JM.jpg (26.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 35 Div detail TG.jpg (46.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 18-04-13, 09:53 AM

Thanks Jon,

Photo No. 2 is very close to the mark. If the device shade is red in the black-and-white pic then the background evidently cannot be black - it is a lighter hue. This poses the question whether backgrounds could have varied between units of the Division. One thing leads to another.

Gard