British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-13, 05:01 PM

Default Sultan of Oman's Land Forces

Images from local and poor quality photocopies of some of the orginal JR Gaunt artwork for the-then new headwear badges for the Sultan of Oman's Land Forces (SOLF) c 1977.
NFR - Northern Frontier Regt
FF - Frontier Force
SR - Southern Regt (usually referred to as KJ (Katiba Janubiya)
JR - Jebel Regt
DR - Desert Regt
SOLF.NFR.01.jpgSOLF.FF.02.jpgSOLF.SR.03.jpg
SOLF.JR.04.jpgSOLF.DR.05.jpg
Old 08-09-13, 03:29 PM

Default A Tale of Two Badges

Sultan's Armed Forces. These unique badges were made by my late father, a dentist both NHS and AD Corps/RADC from original SAF badges that I donated in the late 1970s. They are unusual in that one is silver, the other gold. The gold came from my father's accumulation of tiny fragments of gold used in dental fillings over decades of dentistry. Both were made at my mother's request; she believed, accurately, that the Oman of the 1970s was still a pretty romantic place. On her death they were passed down to my wife.
SAF.WEJ.01.jpg SAF.WEJ.02.jpg
Old 08-09-13, 04:49 PM

Just brilliant and lovely items.

I am still trying to find a number of the cloth formation badges, if you know of any source.

Marc
Old 10-09-13, 08:47 PM

Default SAF

Hi, I picked this up on the weekend at a general collectors fair in a bag of odds and sods. I didn't know what it was until I spotted this thread so I thought I would post it here for your comments.

It measures 38mm high x 36mm wide and made of 18ct gold (I wish) solid brass as my old uncle used to say.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1953.jpg (42.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1944.jpg (41.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1945.jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-09-13, 05:12 AM

It's identical in design and style of manufacture to those issued to me (and many others) in SAF in the mid-70s. They seemed to be issued in chromed metal and in brass - at random. I imagine that like most SAF kit of the period they were Pakistani made - boots, shemaghs, "aertex" OG shirts, imitation denison smocks, all of pretty average quality were made there. Fortunately the plastic water bottles - the issue was six per man with plastic cup and carrying pouches were genuine UK issue.
Old 11-09-13, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
It's identical in design and style of manufacture to those issued to me (and many others) in SAF in the mid-70s. They seemed to be issued in chromed metal and in brass - at random. I imagine that like most SAF kit of the period they were Pakistani made - boots, shemaghs, "aertex" OG shirts, imitation denison smocks, all of pretty average quality were made there. Fortunately the plastic water bottles - the issue was six per man with plastic cup and carrying pouches were genuine UK issue.
Thanks Mike,

also included were some silver and gold coloured buttons of varying sizes with the same emblem, the larger ones with the makers mark; Mulgo Bombay and the smaller ones by Firmin London.

Jack.