British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-14, 08:05 PM

Default Gold Wire Officer's Cap Badges

I haven't had a chance to load up a gallery yet of these badges but I thought it would be nice to share them anyways.

Still on the hunt for an Officer's CF Security Branch. I had a line on one at an action at Marway's but ended up being the second bidder of equal value; so rightly so the first bidder won.

Question, has anyone seen a Brockville Rifle Officer's Gold wire? If so could someone post it? That is the next important badge to collect if it is out there. I seem to be stuck collecting ASHofC and the ex-wife's regiment (Brock's). Why I would care is another thing. Guess for my kids sake.

On that end, what a disappointment and joy. The boy is a Sea Cadet (how I don't know!) and the girls are interested in Air Cadets. Both excellent organizations and as a ex CIL (now Cadet Instructor's Cadre) I just glad they have at least expressed an interest.

Rambling on, but I still lean to the ground pounding side even in my cadet collection.

I hope you enjoy the badges.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold wire officer badges 6pc $110 set (1).jpg (109.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg gold wire officer badges 6pc $110 set (5).jpg (52.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg gold wire officer badges 6pc $110 set (8).jpg (78.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg gold wire officer badges 6pc $110 set (9).jpg (58.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Hussars Officer's Bullion Q24b $40.jpg (55.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Cadet Instructors List (Naval) Officer Cloth QC $12.95 Marks of distinction Richmond B.C. 24 Ma.jpg (79.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian Airbourne Regiment Officers Cloth Cap Badge.jpg (35.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CADET INSTRUCTORS LIST cloth OFFICER'S cap badge ca 1990.jpg (60.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian Intelligence Branch Officers Beret Badge post 1964.jpg (59.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CF Administration Branch Officer's Bullion Q137a $20 flea market colbourne.jpg (57.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CF Air Operations Branch Q136a Officer Bullion non metal bird.jpg (69.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CF Dental Branch Officer QC Thompson 141a Cloth $12.95 Marks of Distinction Richmond BC 24 Marc.jpg (85.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CF Land Ordnance Engineering Branch 1973-1990 Badge and Collar dogs Officer.jpg (50.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CF Legal Branch officers.jpg (82.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Q145c Logistics Branch Officer's gold wire $14.00.jpg (85.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-08-14, 08:10 PM

I have seen The Brockville Rifles officers' embroidered cap badge, but I do not have an image.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 04-08-14, 08:15 PM

The last of the collection so far
Old 04-08-14, 08:16 PM

Thanks Phil,

Anyone out there with an image and maybe a spare?
Old 04-08-14, 11:04 PM

I have a friend who was CO of the Brocks - as I recall, his badge was not "gold" wire - rather silver detail pick out of a black background. But I'll drop him a line for a picture...
Old 04-08-14, 11:22 PM

Thank you,

I would expect a Rifle Regt to have silver, even more excited about the possibility of seeing a Brockville Rifle cloth version.

Chris
Old 05-08-14, 12:52 PM

Here is my small collection of Canadian Engineer bullion/cloth badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27 CANADIAN MILITARY ENGRS bullion#.jpg (77.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 30 CANADIAN ENGR 50x60 cloth#.jpg (64.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 31 RCE 55x60 cloth#.jpg (68.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 32 RCE officer bullion#.jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-08-14, 01:28 PM

Found this image on http://www.jfchalifoux.com web page.
http://www.jfchalifoux.com/br.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br.jpg (100.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-08-14, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note Chirs. The Algonquin's have two bullion / mylar officers' cap badges. One is silver for infantry officers and the other is gold for the non-infantry qualified officers. Eg, admin types.
Old 05-08-14, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link jranrose. Interesting accumulation of Brockville Rifles qc badges. An impressive collection can be put together featuring the queen's crown period badges. (I don't think those are in JF's collection per se, but are an image someone has given him.)
Old 05-08-14, 01:44 PM

Indeed an excellent collection. That's an interesting piece of info on the Algonquin's. Another reason I enjoy collecting.
Old 05-08-14, 07:30 PM

Yes that is an interesting point on the Algonquin Regiment. I would have never guessed they would have a difference. I have no idea why someone could possibly say collecting cap badges is boring. There is so much to know just on the badges, then there is the history of the units. Buttons, cloth shoulder titles, orders of dress, one leads into the other.

Now that I've seen there is a Brockville Rifles out there time to start saving more pennies.

Thank you Jerry, very nice collection of Engineers badges. I really like the last one. I guess it's time to get a project dedicated to cloth badges.
Any takers?

Chris
PS keep those badges coming, I am sure we would all love to see your collection
Old 05-08-14, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Chris, It is already there. The cloth / bullion / mylar versions should go in the appropriate unit on the Post 1953 galleries.
Old 05-08-14, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Just a note Chirs. The Algonquin's have two bullion / mylar officers' cap badges. One is silver for infantry officers and the other is gold for the non-infantry qualified officers. Eg, admin types.
My understanding is that if an officer is RCEME, Logistics, Medical etc, they wear their own branch/corps insignia. It makes no sense to me that a non-infantry officer would wear any cap badge other than their own branch/corps.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 05-08-14, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil, I agree. But the powers that be in the unit decided that the "operational" officers (the term "infantry" may be misleading but that was the way it was put to me), qualified platoon officers, coy commanders, the 2 i/c, OC, and RSM would wear silver, while those not in command of platoons or companies would not. It boggles my mind. In the reserves, personnel shortages often result in one wearing two hats, so the tpt officer may also be a coy commander. Or they may move someone for an exercise or training task. Would the officer have two pieces of headdress? Still not sure about the full nature of this distinction.
The other corps/branch officers attached to the unit would still wear their branch badges.