British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-21, 06:51 AM

Default Glasgow

Is there any good places to pick up some badges in Glasgow within walking distance of the Town centre? or a good opportunity to see badges in local Museum or such?

Have a stop over on way for a UK Vacation!!! "Steam Train to Fort William (overnight stay), then onto Mallich" then the Islands - could I possibly find badges there I wonder? Doubt it!!

But uf anyone could shed any ideas I would appreciate it cheers billy
Old 09-06-21, 08:28 AM

Billy,

The Royal Highland Fusiliers museum is at 518 Sauchiehall Street.

Also the Treasure Bunker https://www.treasurebunker.co.uk/

I have not been to either for some years but both seem to be operating now

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 09-06-21 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 11:36 AM

Hi Billy

The Glasgow Police Museum is well worth a visit should you feel that way inclined:

http://www.policemuseum.org.uk/

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 13-06-21, 10:38 AM

Is there anything in Fort William (been to the Commando Museum there, Roy would like the early Fairburn Daggers!) And is there anything to explore on Stornoway,? Some nice little junk shops perhaps?
Old 13-06-21, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Is there anything in Fort William (been to the Commando Museum there, Roy would like the early Fairburn Daggers!) And is there anything to explore on Stornoway,? Some nice little junk shops perhaps?
Hi Billy

No idea re. Stornaway but it was the early 1980's when I visited from Benbecula.

Spent a few days in Fort William in 2012, the only shops might be worth checking are the charity shops. There was a secondhand bookshop, and a nice little museum with items connected to the Jacobite siege of the fort. The graveyard has a couple of CWGC graves, and the entrance arch was formerly the entrance to the fort.

Should you be into beach combing the area in front of the remaining bastion has items brought down the now culverted river, I found ink bottles, sea glass etc. - take wellies and a rake if that appeals.

If you aren't driving or taking the ferry avoid Malliag, apart from a good little museum and nice cafe there's b*gger all else to see there.

Enjoy your trip, I'd be interested on updates of those places on your return.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 13-06-21, 12:30 PM

Well Malliag is our destination to catch the Ferry, Glasgow to Fort William then onto Malliag by Steam Train ( one hopes! It is what was presented in the brochure?)

Forgot to mentiin from Stornoway we gi to Inverness, so if you know something there would appreciate it, last timd I found a brilliant Church turned into a bookshop!! Brill, and only charity shops!

Last edited by billy; 13-06-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 13-06-21, 12:32 PM

Good museum at the barracks Inverness if you're going that way.
Old 13-06-21, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Well Malliag is our destination to catch the Ferry, Glasgow to Firt William then onto Malliag by Steam Train ( one hooes! It is what was presented in the brochure?)

Forgot to mentiin from Stornoway we gi to Inverness, so if you know something there would appreciate it, last timd I found a brilliant Church turned into a bookshop!! Brill, and only charity shops!
The train to Mallaig is great, especially if you have any Harry Potter fans in your group - Glenfinnan Viaduct is in one film and they usually slow down for photos as it is curved.

Last time I was in Inverness (2013) all I found were charity shops, but I've a mate lives there, I'll ask him.
Old 13-06-21, 04:04 PM

Fort George? Inverness, if there is a trip going will deffinately be on it! Inverness I only found charity shops and this Church full of books which I love, but you need time to explore fully, a joy to do so on Saturday mornings and come home with a good find?
Charity shop I found a Military Tartan Kilt in good nick and reasonably priced, if you had the room and into building up a mannequin!

All the best and thanks for the tips, not going up blind, wife wishes to see Rene Mac Intoshes ?? Gallery, are not staying that far from it. Billy