British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-23, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Here are three examples from my collection, I’m not convinced that the one on the right is original to the badge

Paul
Hi Paul

Nice to see that the shape of the backing felt in your LHS roughly conforms to mine!

I also see that there's no point in renewing the thread attachments. As CB and others have said, it was probably done to hold it all together.
Old 18-06-23, 11:51 PM

The plastic, economy badge below was issued to a friend during his service with the KRRC, and still has its original cloth backing:

KRRC Plastic Beret Badge (4).jpgKRRC Plastic Beret Badge (5).jpg

JT
Old 19-06-23, 11:31 AM

Chaps, my example. WW1 era badge with original backing. Was once red, but now a faded brown colour. Interestingly, it appears to be in a 'tombstone' shape.

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230619_115827.jpg (73.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20230619_115849.jpg (75.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20230619_115914.jpg (55.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20230619_115933.jpg (56.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 19-06-23, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
CB, I suspect the chap who wore the badge with a cardboard backing didn't wear his cap in the rain.

Regards.

Brian
Actually, the use of oil cloth or painted cardboard material would be of better resistance to the elements than felt or wool felt as is demonstrated by the tatty but fascinating example recently shown.

CB
Old 20-06-23, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
The plastic, economy badge below was issued to a friend during his service with the KRRC, and still has its original cloth backing:

Attachment 285175Attachment 285176

JT
Hi JT

Nice to see that even though this one is of a much later date, it still follows the same shape as my one.

I told the guy who gave it to me about our discussions and he said he nearly threw the cloth bit away but then realised that without it the badge would fall apart!
Old 20-06-23, 08:17 PM

I also believe the red card backing on the QWR frame shown by stenoyab was put on for display purposes only. Here’s a few of mine with cloth backing, both “tatty” and tidy, not bad for their age.
Wilf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6118.jpg (118.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 20-06-23, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Actually, the use of oil cloth or painted cardboard material would be of better resistance to the elements than felt or wool felt as is demonstrated by the tatty but fascinating example recently shown.

CB
CB, I'm not meteorologically au fait with weather conditions where you are, but I'm certain I would rather wear a felt/cloth made coat in the rain than a raincoat made of painted cardboard.

In addition, considering that the badge, subject of the opening post, is in all probability more than 100 years old, I think the tatty piece of felt has lasted a lot longer than a square of painted cardboard would ever have done.

Regards.

Brian.
Old 20-06-23, 09:07 PM

A very nice display, clearly showing the effect of red felt as a backdrop to a blackened badge...........and a white metal one as well of course.

Regards.

Brian.