British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-08, 10:12 PM

There seems to have been a number of oddly coloured enamel crosses like this on ebay in the last 12 months. I am sure buyers must get confused with whether they are military or masonic!

On the subject of Chaplains Collar badges can anyone share any pictures of the chaplains [No2] service dress collar dogs? I'd be especially interested to see Jewish faith ones as up to now I have never seen any.
Kind regards
Old 29-09-08, 04:11 PM

Default RAChD Cap badge

RAChD Cap badge in Silver and Gilt with blue enamel with Queen's Crown. This pattern introduced 1953 and still in use today. The same pattern is used for the collar badges which are a smaller size. These badges are worn on Dress Uniform (Blues) and Mess Dress (both temperate and tropical). Note that as per RevDougal the Motto is English not Latin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap.jpg (33.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 29-09-08, 05:47 PM

Default Chaplain badges

Hey ho;
A couple of dates I have been quizzing about have surfaced in my paperwork.
In regard to the New Zealand chaplains of the forces, in 1937 they asked and were given the right to wear the R.A.Ch.D cap badge, War Office file WO32/15528 "Authority for NZ Army Chaplains to wear the badge of the RAChD" contains all the correspondance. The Canadian chaplains made a post war descision to change to this type but I don't know the exact year as yet, I am sure someone will . I am not sure when they changed to the latin version of the inscription.
There was a new design of badge for the expanded Jewish section of the chaplains which was created in 1940. There had only been 1 or 2 interwar Jewish officiating chaplains and it was only with the large expansion of the army after 1939 that there was a need to consider this. WO32/9455 file refers. I have requested a copy of this to find out more about the designing of this badge.
Old 29-09-08, 08:12 PM

More odd Chaplains-like badges:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130258692197

and:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230294760028
Old 29-09-08, 08:55 PM

R.A.Ch.D. (Jewish) s/g Cap badge, the Collar badges are the same design but smaller.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 30-09-08, 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=RAChD;23936]Hey ho;
A couple of dates I have been quizzing about have surfaced in my paperwork.
In regard to the New Zealand chaplains of the forces, in 1937 they asked and were given the right to wear the R.A.Ch.D cap badge, War Office file WO32/15528 "Authority for NZ Army Chaplains to wear the badge of the RAChD" contains all the correspondance.

The Royal Army Chaplains' Department badge was worn by New Zealand Army Chaplains from 1947 - 1979. During WWII NZ chaplains serving in Middle East and Italy wore the 'New Zealand Onward' badge. Those NZ Chaplains serving in the Pacific theatre wore the RAChD Badge, except those serving in the Soloman Islands Campaign of 1943 who wore the 'New Zealand Onward' badge.

The Current badge with New Zealnd fern and RNZChD was authoried in 1982. The RNZChD now wear small gold crosses instead of the traditional collar badges.
Old 01-10-08, 05:56 AM

Default total speculation

I think this is a badge segment converted to a collar. The fact that there is the stub of a clipped-off lug on the back left cross arm, and file marks on corresponding right cross arm makes me think this used to be a cap badge. These are where the lugs on a Canadian badge are (not that I think this is Canadian). The north/south lugs look like add-ons to me.

My second observation is what looks like the screw hole in the center back. This could have held a second piece (eg, wreath, crown, etc. in another metal) which may be why you don't see obvious signs of those items having been removed fro the cross arms.

As for it originally being military, the Canadian badge has the clover-leaf cross in the center (already mentioned), as did the British K.C. version, no? Also, motto for both was in English, not Latin, yes? Could be remnants of a multi-piece stole badge, (which is what I think those other eBay examples quoted above might be) turned into an ad hoc field-made collar out of necessity.

I've sent in a Canadian Chaplain Corps badge for the CanBadge project, so should be one there for a look-see (S-17) when Mike gets it up.