British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-13, 01:15 AM

Default PM soliciting

Did anybody besides me get any unsolicted PMs offering to purchase their 1 Can Para items?
I'm still PO'ed about it.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 18-06-13, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Did anybody besides me get any unsolicted PMs offering to purchase their 1 Can Para items?

Phil

Phil,

I did receive a couple messages asking if I wanted to part with anything and I received one wanting to sell a couple items, but they were all simple inquiries. I didn’t take any offense as they were merely doing what collectors do. Was the person rude with you?....
Old 18-06-13, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Phil
Ouch! When I see a nice Coloured Field Service Cap I will send a PM to demonstrate my interest. Nobody has ever been PO'ed about it and one fellow was glad to part with it to a good home as it was not central to his interests and formed part of a lot he had acquired.
Don't see myself changing this approach either.
Clive
Old 18-06-13, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Phil,

I did receive a couple messages asking if I wanted to part with anything and I received one wanting to sell a couple items, but they were all simple inquiries. I didn’t take any offense as they were merely doing what collectors do. Was the person rude with you?....
He wasn't rude, but if my interests say I collect to the Canadian Army 1939-67, he would have to be extremely thick to think that 1 Can Para falls outside my area of interest.

Phil

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 19-06-13, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Split thread. This topic is worth airing.
Please keep the discussion on topic, and refrain from derogatory comments. Please see Forum rules. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm
Old 19-06-13, 12:11 PM

Phil,

I personally don’t have a problem with collectors contacting me to inquire about stuff for sale, I welcome it. What’s the worst thing that can happen?.. I say no and life goes on. If they are rude and pugnacious, then I would agree that this is unwelcomed. However, that belligerent treatment is a two way street my friend.

I see networking as a golden opportunity for a potentially symbiotic relationship. Let’s face it, the fish aren’t going to jump in the boat all on their own! You have to cast a line to get what you’re hunting for. Gone are the days when you anxiously awaited to attend the local militaria show in hopes of finding something special to build your collection only to be disappointed. Technology has afforded us the ability to connect. This forum is a great example of collectors & dealers having the ability to reach out to one another from the other side of the globe.

I have made some great contacts from all over the world thanks to this ability. For example, I have a gentleman in the Netherlands who is insanely passionate about collecting QOR stuff. I have sold him several QOR BD groups over the years and he has in return found me some key items I was looking for. If no one was willing to attempt to network, then I would have plenty of empty rikers. I certainly didn’t build my collection from living in a shell and attending the local show!

Good luck fishing!

Last edited by cw2311; 19-06-13 at 05:49 PM.
Old 19-06-13, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Phil
Phil, I can't say as this has happened to me in regards to 1st Can Para items as all I have is one single lonely Brass cap badge. I have however been asked more than once through my website to part with items such as kilts, sporrans, Officers items and the like.

I understand it can get annoying but, meh, I just reply with a simple note saying thanks for the interest but no.

I have had the same person, make several requests about items and that is when in starts to get to me.

I understand that the 1 Can Para collectors can be a little odd and upfront about making requests as the market is huge, the items a small in comparison. Honestly, if I had any more than just the one cap badge, I would part with them as I only need one for my collection.... now let talk Irish Regiment of Canada LOL

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 19-06-13, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the relevant Forum rules. They are used to facilitate discussion. Please follow them.

Treat fellow posters with respect and courtesy. There will be a range of opinions on certain types of military insignia. Do not elevate discussions into personal arguments and/or attacks. Recognise the point of ‘no gain’ in a discussion and move on.

The forum is not a soap box for personal attacks on individuals and businesses. Remember the forum owner may be responsible for libellous posts made by others. Such posts will be removed. There will be no warning regarding deletion.

Derogatory comments against others, including slurs based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, or political affiliation will not be tolerated. Do not threaten or harass other forum members.
Old 19-06-13, 06:13 PM

Pylon1357,

It’s too bad I didn’t know about your interest in Irish Regiment earlier, as I sold a nice BD group a little while back. These things are good to know! You should PM me your interests and title it “Irish Regiment”, then I will keep you in mind.

On another note, my Grandfather served with them during WW2.

Cheers!
Old 19-06-13, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Phil,

I personally don’t have a problem with collectors contacting me to inquire about stuff for sale, I welcome it. What’s the worst thing that can happen?.. I say no and life goes on. If they are rude and pugnacious, then I would agree that this is unwelcomed. However, that belligerent treatment is a two way street my friend.

I see networking as a golden opportunity for a potentially symbiotic relationship. Let’s face it, the fish aren’t going to jump in the boat all on their own! You have to cast a line to get what you’re hunting for. Gone are the days when you anxiously awaited to attend the local militaria show in hopes of finding something special to build your collection only to be disappointed. Technology has afforded us the ability to connect. This forum is a great example of collectors & dealers having the ability to reach out to one another from the other side of the globe.

I have made some great contacts from all over the world thanks to this ability. For example, I have a gentleman in the Netherlands who is insanely passionate about collecting QOR stuff. I have sold him several QOR BD groups over the years and he has in return found me some key items I was looking for. If no one was willing to attempt to network, then I would have plenty of empty rikers. I certainly didn’t build my collection from living in a shell and attending the local show!

Good luck fishing!
To start off, you don’t know me so please don’t be so presumptuous as to call me your friend. I think I’ve been at this game long enough to understand networking. I’ve shared images, my own research, and I’ve given away more badges than I have sold or traded. Please don’t lecture me on making connections.

I have a difficult time with collectors who ask me to break up my collection so that they can get what they want. It has happened here before and I’m not receptive to it. It’s not unlike the collectors who peruse the obituaries to see who the recently deceased veterans are. It is poor manners and it reveals a special kind of arrogance. I don’t respect it.

I don't know why you are "targeting" me. There is nothing my post to say who PMed me. Why are you taking such offence?

I hope that the fish references aren’t some sort of a cheap shot at my name. I’ve heard them all.

Phil

Old 19-06-13, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't shoot anyone down for asking once, politely, if I have anything within my collecting interest for sale. I think many collectors have "spares" to hand - happens to me when I upgrade a badge. I usually end up selling the spares on ebay.

That being said - anyone got a WW2-vintage Cdn 1st Para Officer's cap badge for sale or trade? I need one! (and no, wasn't me who contacted Phil).

Cheers, Ian.
Old 19-06-13, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
I wouldn't shoot anyone down for asking once, politely, if I have anything within my collecting interest for sale. I think many collectors have "spares" to hand - happens to me when I upgrade a badge. I usually end up selling the spares on ebay.

That being said - anyone got a WW2-vintage Cdn 1st Para Officer's cap badge for sale or trade? I need one! (and no, wasn't me who contacted Phil).

Cheers, Ian.
Ian,

To me there is a big difference between asking somebody if they have a spare and targeting something in a collection.
Very often forum members will ask in a post if a subject badge is surplus to a poster's needs. It is out in the open and does not have the same feel as the unsolicited PM. It makes a big difference to the "feel" of the request.
It's hard to put my finger on, but I think there is a certain "slime factor" that I'm particularly sensitive to.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 19-06-13 at 07:46 PM.
Old 19-06-13, 07:59 PM

Hi Phil,

I guess I can see how it would be annoying to showcase one's collection only to be asked if this or that bit is for sale. Alot of hard work goes into a collection, and one hopes that it is appreciated for what it is, not a bunch of metal up for grabs!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 19-06-13, 08:03 PM

Quote:
To start off, you don’t know me so please don’t be so presumptuous as to call me your friend. I think I’ve been at this game long enough to understand networking. I’ve shared images, my own research, and I’ve given away more badges than I have sold or traded. Please don’t lecture me on making connections.

I have a difficult time with collectors who ask me to break up my collection so that they can get what they want. It has happened here before and I’m not receptive to it. It’s not unlike the collectors who peruse the obituaries to see who the recently deceased veterans are. It is poor manners and it reveals a special kind of arrogance. I don’t respect it.

I don't know why you are "targeting" me. There is nothing my post to say who PMed me. Why are you taking such offence?

I hope that the fish references aren’t some sort of a cheap shot at my name. I’ve heard them all.

Phil

No need for paranoia,

I can assure you that there were absolutely no “cheap shots” on my part and using the term “friend” was only a figure of speech to try and be polite with my response. I don’t know you and you definitely don’t know me, so I find it quite presumptuous of you to think I’m “targeting you”??

As a reminder, this thread began with YOU asking a question about PM’s. I assumed you wanted responses to your question??? Others have chimed in and given their opinion, so I simply responded with MY OPINION. No lectures, just my take on the subject. I really don’t care about your personal problems or past relationships with other collectors and or their degenerate approach to ambulance chasing WW2 veterans. I don’t respect this either, at least we can agree on that.
Old 19-06-13, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Hi Phil,

I guess I can see how it would be annoying to showcase one's collection only to be asked if this or that bit is for sale. Alot of hard work goes into a collection, and one hopes that it is appreciated for what it is, not a bunch of metal up for grabs!

Cheers, Ian.

Ian,

I do have a few collectors who touch base with me from time to time asking if I’m selling anything as of yet. They are from Europe, so I do understand they are worried that they may miss an opportunity. I’ve been there myself just missing some great items that were being sold in haste to recover from a divorce.

The good thing is, I now have a list of interested people who I will be calling first when I do decide to liquidate!

Cheers!