British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-12, 06:17 AM

Default Tracing a Commando

Does anyone have links or addresses out there for tracing WWII Commando personnel?

Someone has asked me if I can help find out about their father-in-law who was in one of the RM Commando units in WWII

It seems they only have the following info:

John Stacey Pill and he joined up at Eastney Barracks near Portsmouth? He owned a Green beret, so was obviously a commando. Martin does actually still have his fathers beret badge, and it is as you described. He served in Italy, North Africa and France around or just after D day. He was either a lance corporal or corporal, but was demoted for some reason or another. He was in 40 something commando, but unfortunately, we do not know which one!

Any help much appreciated
Ray
Old 25-06-12, 06:44 AM

Ray

May be you can contact http://www.royalmarinesassociation.org.uk/

Cheers

JB
Old 25-06-12, 08:12 AM

Contacting The Royal Marines Association is a good idea as J-B suggests. You could ask them to insert a 'search for information' in the Association journal: 'The Globe and Laurel'. Usually these requests, when published, include a bit more information but you never know - Good Luck any way. There is a Royal Marines Historical Society also - you could ask the Association to refer your enquiry to them if they can not help directly. From memory, and generally speaking as there are likely to have been transfers, I doubt he was No44(RM) Cdo or No42(RM) Cdo as they had some service in the Far East with 3 SS/Cdo Bde. No40(RM) and No43(RM) Cdo were with 2 SS/Cdo Bde in the Mediterranean etc. That leaves 41, 45, 46, 47 and 48 (RM) Cdos, with 45 in 1 SS/Cdo Bde and the rest in 4 SS/Cdo Bde both serving in the European theatre. I hope this helps but is from memory as I am in a bit if a rush (as usual). The Association is by far your best bet I would think (via J-B's link above for details). Regards and good luck, Mike
PS - Some confusion could arise with service before Royal Marine Battalions converted to a Commando roll.
Old 25-06-12, 12:21 PM

Default Thanks

Gentlement
Thankyou for the suggestions - which I have passed on verbatim
I will check with someone in the Historical Society to see what avenues they might be able to suggest
Ray
Old 25-06-12, 12:55 PM

The best way to trace a commando is to have him lie down on a blacktop surface (make sure there are no cars coming) and with white chalk draw around him, being careful not to get chalk on his uniform.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 25-06-12, 01:54 PM

Default Not blooming likely

If I asked a Bootneck to lie down for me he'd probably punch me on the chin and, when I came to, suggest I go ask a Matelot to show me where the golden rivet was!!
Old 29-06-12, 08:39 AM

Default Contact the Commando Veterans Association.

Contact the Commando Veterans Association.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/
Old 29-06-12, 02:18 PM

This is the army commando veterans association, but of course you can try any lead to find this RM cdo.

JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PembrokeYeo View Post
Contact the Commando Veterans Association.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/
Old 29-06-12, 03:58 PM

JB, it is not restricted to Army Commandos so if he was a Royal Marine Commando and at that time not all Royal Marines were Commandos, it is well worth visiting the website. PY.
Old 29-06-12, 04:32 PM

You are right PY well worth a try on this excellent site.

JB
Old 29-06-12, 06:58 PM

Default Many thanks

Gentlemen - Thanks for all the input. I have forwarded everything to him and just had an email to say that he is currently overseas but as soon as he gets back he'll start following the leads you've offered

If I get any update from him on his progress I will post it on this thread

Aye Yours
Ray
Old 30-06-12, 10:27 AM

I recall asking a friend at the Royal Marines Historical Society for help with service records of a Royal Marine and they provided the following link.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...ePersonnel.htm

Site details are fairly self explanatory. I think you need a death certificate to gain information and it helps being next of kin etc. I sought details of the site for a colleague and have not used this service myself. That said, from recollection, detail provided is very comprehensive, definitive, and may well be worth any fee payable (if the £30 applies)

Regards
Mike
Old 01-07-12, 04:28 PM

Default New Info

Tanks Mike - passed that onto him. In meantime he has come across an envelope which gives some info:

EX5305 G Battery F Troop
3(2)? H.A.A regt Royal Marines
The question mark i have placed, is because for some reason the number 2 is smaller, so not sure if it is a 3 or 32.
The envelope is addressed from Antwerp. From what i can see on the net, this unit was based there for a while.
The other units on his service record, says 'HBL MNBDO

If he was an AA gunner, that would explain the 'Defense Medal'.
He was also wounded in action once, possibly twice.
It also shows that he joined on the 5th April 1940 and was demobbed 19th December 1945.
He was demobbed at Lympston.

HAA - Anti Aircraft or Artillery of some sort? I know MNHBDO but not sure what HBL would stand for.
Were either of these Commandos or both the basic Royal Marine? If so these may be his units before becoming a Commando (if he ever actually did)

Ray
Old 01-07-12, 06:55 PM

Ray - HBL ... Home Base Ledger, something to do with the recording of all RN/RM personnel. Trust this will assist.

Ritchie.