British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-15, 05:22 PM

Default EMMGB Collection

A few (pretty poor) photos of part of my EMMGB collection. I'll have to get my friend (and photo expert) to get some better ones for inclusion in the CEF Project.

There are no maker marks on any of the badges and all are smooth backed. Apart from on the cover of the Charlton Catalogue of WW1 Canadian Corps badges I have never seen another example of the oval badge, nor for that matter have I come across one for sale in any of the old Canadian Militaria auction house catalogues (e.g. Hoare, Denby, et al). What I can say for certain is the valuation given in the Charlton Catalogue is way off the mark!

I am led to believe that Hugh King had one of these oval badges in his extensive CEF collection , but since being consigned to Bosley's a few years ago, it, along with a number of other CEF 'rarities' has yet to surface.

Anyway, please enjoy

Lovat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EMMGB Small Beaver (50-3-1-2).jpg (36.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg EMMGB Large Beaver (50-3-1-4).jpg (57.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg EMMGB Collars (50-3-3-43).jpg (42.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg EMMGB Oval Badge (50-3-1-91).jpg (77.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 17-11-15, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

The second badge has a "ferocious beaver"! Again some really scarce badges.
Lovat, do you think the oval badge was officers' pattern?
Old 17-11-15, 06:56 PM

Bill,

The oval badge is a pin-and-catch and having discussed at some length with a established subject matter expert in the CEF field I'm of the opinion it is an Offrs badge. However, it's a moot point as to whether it is a cap or collar badge, but if I was pushed I would suggest a cap badge. That being said, the proof is almost always in the pictorial evidence, and that's where it all appears to dry up. I'm always hopeful that someone with a lot more knowledge will weight-in and offer his/her tuppence worth!