British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-08, 07:48 PM

Smile Have you seen one???

Over the years I have seen at least 6 different "Prince Rupert Regiment MG" cap badges. It seems to me that if there were twice as many 1/2 inch smaller collars floating around,someone would have seen at least one, unless, the cap and collars were the same size (which did occur in other badge issues, with some frequency).

Last edited by bgpipes; 13-05-08 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 13-05-08, 08:17 PM

During the 1939-45 War, Canadian troops wore battledress - without collar badges. Officers and RSMs wore service dress with collar badges, hence, for wartime units such as 1 Can Para, VIII Recce, Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment and ...Prince Rupert Regiment, only the officers would have been authorised to wear the collar badges and their scarcity reflects this.
The Prince Rupert Regiment is an odd unit as it was strictly wartime and a Reserve unit - I doubt that it was ever at full battalion strength.
The capbadges were authorised in 1943, and I believe the unit was not in existence for very long - 1944 or 1945. It makes sense that the cap badges are scarce and the collar badges possibly never even manufactured.
The slip-on shoulder titles were part of a batch of about a half dozen that were obtained by an experienced collector in Montreal. Their provenance is that they were part of a collection of cloth flashes that included some sealed patterns. They came through a lady who had worked in a factory making flashes during the war. I had never seen these flashes previously and I would guess that they were never actually issued to the regiment.
Old 13-05-08, 08:59 PM

Default Thanks Phil!

That all makes sense to me, no more sleepless nights over this issue
Old 13-05-08, 10:35 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Still on the prince Rupert MG. I wonder if the badges with R on the back were reproductions of the Birks badge. notice the frayed edge on the scroll is identical on both. I shouldn't be saying this because mine is a R version but I'm in it for the love of military heritage & not dollars & cents. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 14-05-08 at 01:47 AM.
Old 13-05-08, 11:48 PM

Default "R" is for "Roden" Bros.

I was told by old-timer collectors that the "R" was for Roden Bros. a maker of WW1 badges. The quality of both makers was done equally well.
Old 14-05-08, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Phil, Thanks for some excellent research. This material is a good basis to try and understand the issue of the insignia.
Having one of the slip-ons to the Prince Rupert in my own collection, and having seen two others, they do have the appearance of having been worn. However, there is no documentation that the slip-on was manufactured. It is not on the RO of 1942 that lists all the worsted titles authorized to that point, and it was around that time that the coloured shoulder title began to replace the worsted. (One caveat, the coloured shoulder titles were issued in Canada for mobilized units first, not reserve army units.)
Finally, like Bill, I understand that the R stood for Roden.
Old 14-05-08, 01:45 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Glad It stands for Roden & not reproduction. Ray
Old 14-05-08, 04:44 AM

Thanks guy for all the information. Bill, I don't know how I missed the 1st post, especially since I even replied in it! Work gives me CRAFT* disease!

Cheers,

Greg

*Can't Remember A Friggin Thing
Old 14-05-08, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am pretty CRAFTy at times too, Greg.
Question to contributors of this string, should the two strings on the Prince Rupert's be merged? They would sort alphabetically, leaving this portion to follow the posts on the first string.
Old 14-05-08, 12:34 PM

Default Prince Rupert Regiment.

One last note on the Prince Rupert Regiment.
About ten years ago I saw a couple of sterling silver Prince Rupert Regiment cap badges with screw posts. It was explained to me by the vendor that somebody had these made up by a jeweller. If they turn up again, remember, these are "fantasy pieces". 'nuff said.
Old 14-05-08, 04:20 PM

I vote to merge them.

G
Old 16-05-08, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Some more information on the Prince Rupert Regiment

Mark Tonner supplied me with some information on the Prince Rupert Regiment. Much of it repeats what Phil posted, but there is a bit more.

The Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.)

1.)
The regiment was authorized under the authority of General Order No. 21 of 1943, dated 15
January 1943, effective 29 October 1942, with the designation of 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The
Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.).

2.)
The localization of the 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.) at Prince
Rupert, British Columbia was authorized under the authority of General Order No. 26 of 1943,
dated 15 January 1943, effective 29 October 1942.

3.)
Under the authority of General Order No. 246 of 1943, dated 16 June 1943, effective 24 May
1943, the Cap and Collar Badge of the Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.) was authorized:

Cap Badge

Crossed machine guns and scroll with regimental title in white metal; Maple leaf in bronze
Superimposed upon a Maple Leaf, crossed machine guns and below a scroll inscribed
“PRINCE RUPERT REGT. (M.G.)”.

Extreme height 1 5/8 inches
Extreme width 1 5/8 inches

Collar Badge

As for cap badge

Extreme height 1 1/8 inches
Extreme width 1 1/8 inches

Note: The above mentioned Cap and Collar Badge was worn by all ranks

4.)
1st (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Rupert Regiment (M.G.) was disbanded under the authority of
General Order No. 113 of 1946, dated 13 May 1946, effective 31 March 1946.

Summary

The regiment was authorized as a Reserve Unit of the Canadian Army (Reserve), with localization at
Prince Rupert, British Columbia, under the designation of the 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Rupert
Regiment (M.G.), effective 29 October 1942. The regiment as a whole or in part, was never placed on
'Active Service', nor was it ever part of a Reserve Brigade Group. The regiment was disbanded
effective 31 March 1946, having spent approx. 3½ years as a Reserve Unit of the Canadian Army
(Reserve), located at Prince Rupert, British Columbia, as part of the 14th (Reserve) Infantry Brigade.
Old 17-05-08, 06:02 PM

Below is the Prince Rupert Officer in CFSC that Philip referred to in his earlier post. I should point out that I used the collars to identify the hat so my identification may be incorrect and should not be used as primary reference. The photo was taken at CMHQ in the UK and, if correct, would make this one of the few Prince Rupert officers to actually represent his regiment overseas.