British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-18, 07:53 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default 'You'll Never Walk' by Andy Grant

I read a lot of books and do not normally recommend the ones I read to any great extent. I picked the book 'You'll Never Walk' by Andy Grant up by acccident in a bookshop yesterday. The 'Liverpool' connection is obvious from the title (if you add the word 'alone') and the reason for the title does become obvious as one reads It is written by an ex-member of the Royal Marines who had to have a leg amputated following an IED explosion in Afghanistan., but who went on to become 'the Worlds fastest single leg amputee'. The author tells his story as only a 'scouser' can....he does not try to suggest 'literary excellence'......it is a 'down to earth account of his life written in down to earth language. In reading the book I have laughed and shed tears..... at one point I found tears rolling down my cheeks not only from sadness but because most of all I felt both humbled and inspired. I started reading the book when I got home and I have found myself unable to put it down.......but....Am I glad I took the chance and bought it????? Absolutely!!!!
Old 08-08-18, 02:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
I read a lot of books and do not normally recommend the ones I read to any great extent. I picked the book 'You'll Never Walk' by Andy Grant up by acccident in a bookshop yesterday. The 'Liverpool' connection is obvious from the title (if you add the word 'alone') and the reason for the title does become obvious as one reads It is written by an ex-member of the Royal Marines who had to have a leg amputated following an IED explosion in Afghanistan., but who went on to become 'the Worlds fastest single leg amputee'. The author tells his story as only a 'scouser' can....he does not try to suggest 'literary excellence'......it is a 'down to earth account of his life written in down to earth language. In reading the book I have laughed and shed tears..... at one point I found tears rolling down my cheeks not only from sadness but because most of all I felt both humbled and inspired. I started reading the book when I got home and I have found myself unable to put it down.......but....Am I glad I took the chance and bought it????? Absolutely!!!!
James,

I love it when you stumble across one of those ‘can’t-put-it-down’ books. And when you reach the end, you feel like you’re saying farewell to an old friend.

Those are the books you never forget and never tire of reading. In my opinion, there is no higher accolade or better expression of praise for a writer than this.

Thanks for the recommendation.

JT