British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-14, 03:50 PM

Probably a school or a boys home with thier own cadet unit. I t would be nice to confirm Manchester though, Kevin
Old 10-07-14, 02:17 PM

I am not exactly loosing sleep over it but someone must know something about the Bank Top Cadets, their badge does seem to come up fairly regularly for sale in this Country.

It is in Rawlings as we know and I presume therefore that he though it was a British unit but it is not mentioned in Westlakes " A Register of T.F. Cadet Units".

It would be great to solve the mystery.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-07-14, 06:02 PM

Alan,

That is a distinct possibility and I wonder if the uniform being worn by the "cadet" on the badge ( especially the head dress and the bugle ) might be a clue.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (20.7 KB, 40 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-07-14, 06:10 PM

Peter,

It is quite clearly the famous Bavarian Bugle Boys of Bank Top!!

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-07-14, 06:21 PM

Simon,

Good educated guess, I also thought the hat looked Bavarian and nothing like anything I have ever seen being worn by any British Cadets.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 11-07-14 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Peter,

It is quite clearly the famous Bavarian Bugle Boys of Bank Top!!

regards
I was only joking

Old 10-07-14, 07:01 PM

So was I. ( I cannot imagine any German unit having a badge like this )

P.

Old 11-07-14, 07:26 AM

Default Bank Top Cadets

Whilst I am aware that Keith Rawlings can no longer explain himself on this matter, having met him, I am confident in saying that he was a collector, not a historian or antiquarian. If a badge appeared in his book he either owned it or had seen it. As such his book should be treated as a 'check-list', and not a researched publication, and conclusions should be drawn accordingly.

Stephen.
Old 11-07-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

When you consider that the KRRC CLB cadets cap badge is far more military than this one but was in fact not a 'British Army' unit but a Church Land Brigade cap badge, it is quite possible that this one is not an 'Army' badge either. The bizarre headgear does raise questions.
Old 11-07-14, 09:01 PM

There is also a Bank Top School in Horton, Bradford, but unsure as to when it was established and a Bank Top in Darlington, but no school associated.
Old 13-07-14, 05:36 PM

Well, I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Not often the forum cannot come up with an answer. Looking at the cap badge posted by Peter in post 19, I still can't get out of my head a South African connection as stated in my original post. The features of the badge seem to have a 'foreign' influence, similar to some SA badges and as mentioned in other posts (i.e. hats and bugle),do not reflect British/English design. Can the mods highlight this thread to our South African colleagues for further consideration, if only to eliminate SA as a possibility?
Old 15-09-14, 09:53 PM

post-27136-0-58974000-1410809800.jpg
Gentlemen - great news, this superb 1914 photo of Bank Top Cadets has just appeared on the Great War Forum this evening and considering the background and uniforms we are definately looking at a British Cadet unit.

Many thanks to the GWF member York16, for bringing forward the evidence of the existence of the unit we so craved.
Old 15-09-14, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 112584
Gentlemen - great news, this superb 1914 photo of Bank Top Cadets has just appeared on the Great War Forum this evening and considering the background and uniforms we are definately looking at a British Cadet unit.

Many thanks to the GWF member York16, for bringing forward the evidence of the existence of the unit we so craved.
Thats a very nice picture, but why is it definately UK.

It could be NZ or Canada couldnt it?

Could you ask a question on the other forum as to any impressed photographer details on the front or printed photographer details on the rear please.

regards

Old 15-09-14, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Thats a very nice picture, but why is it definately UK.

It could be NZ or Canada couldnt it?

Could you ask a question on the other forum as to any impressed photographer details on the front or printed photographer details on the rear please.

regards
The current owner has just posted that it came with a collection of cards associated with Skipton, N.Yorks, but I have asked if there is a photographers mark.

I dismissed the Colonial connection on account of the uniforms, which are in my opinion the SD pattern worn by British Cadet units and not those seen worn by Colonial Cadets. As is that worn by the officer.

The headress is also often associated with Colonial units, but it was also found being worn regularly among Volunteer/Territorial units in the UK.
Old 30-03-15, 07:10 AM

I wonder if the person selling this lot :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANK-TOP-C...item58c1df28ea

has evidence to say that this was a Lancashire unit ?

P.B.