British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-12, 04:46 PM

Default Royal British Legion and United Services Corps QVC badges?

Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me how or why the Royal British Legion (founded 1921) bandsmen badge and the United Services Corps (founded no earlier than 1908) are both made with QVCs rather than K/C or Q/Cs? obviously both organisations were founded well after Queen Victoria's death.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-12, 05:01 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me how or why the Royal British Legion (founded 1921) bandsmen badge and the United Services Corps (founded no earlier than 1908) are both made with QVCs rather than K/C or Q/Cs? obviously both organisations were founded well after Queen Victoria's death.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Phil, Both of them really don't look good to me at all. The HP itself might be ok, but the RBL enamelled badge looks so out of place. Looks like someone is having fun and games. David
Old 04-02-12, 05:38 PM

Hi David,

I notice that Engr9266 (Jerry) has several similar badges to both the USC and the RBL? could they just be poorly designed / made?

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-02-12, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,

Phil
The story goes that the "star" badge with QVC were made in a large quantity by a maker(Gaunt?) and that they needed to be used so the British legion used them for Bandsmen then standard bearers then British Legion Volunteer Police Force etc. As for the United Services Corps I cannot find any info on them

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 04-02-12, 06:11 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Hi David,

I notice that Engr9266 (Jerry) has several similar badges to both the USC and the RBL? could they just be poorly designed / made?

Cheers

Phil
Phil, a) As you commented, for a QVC era plate to have what looks like a buttonhole badge - its looks made up (and not officially either). b) I hesitate to use the expression 'poor quality' as it doesn't have any quality. c) it just doesn't make sense - apart from the fact that 'Royal' is in the title of the British Legion, thats it. d) I can't believe that with all the great traditions and work that the RBL have done - and still do, they would make something like this up using that particular plate and a buttonhole badge. Posting a picture of the back may highlight some of the points. My Mum is living in an RBL 'village' and knows a lot of people their. I visit her quite regularly. I will take a pic of your badge along and see what they way. Don't hold your breath.
Rgds, David
Old 04-02-12, 06:42 PM

Hi Guys,

The RBL badge is 11mm gaunt marked, i will try to post a rear pic later but at the moment i am having connection issues again. Thanks David, I would appreciate that.

Jerry, I have a book relating to Corps of Commissionaires. The book says that the USC started life as the Veterans Corps and Employment Bureau in 1908. There is very little other obvious information on them. I havent read it cover to cover yet. The VCEB were very similar to the Corps of Commissionaires, USC folded in 1973 and all remaining 444 members merged into the CoC.

Phil
Old 04-02-12, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Phil, a) As you commented, for a QVC era plate to have what looks like a buttonhole badge - its looks made up (and not officially either). b) I hesitate to use the expression 'poor quality' as it doesn't have any quality. c) it just doesn't make sense - apart from the fact that 'Royal' is in the title of the British Legion, thats it. d) I can't believe that with all the great traditions and work that the RBL have done - and still do, they would make something like this up using that particular plate and a buttonhole badge. Posting a picture of the back may highlight some of the points. My Mum is living in an RBL 'village' and knows a lot of people their. I visit her quite regularly. I will take a pic of your badge along and see what they way. Don't hold your breath.
Rgds, David
David, The Royal British Legion were granted the "ROYAL" title in 1971 when the queens crown was added to their badge.
If you look at this link it will give you some insight to this badge.
http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk/
Click on cap badges

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 04-02-12, 07:44 PM

I will have to find a few more Legion cap and beret badges than I thought!! Especially one of the police volunteer ones.

Phil
Old 04-02-12, 08:31 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
David, The Royal British Legion were granted the "ROYAL" title in 1971 when the queens crown was added to their badge.
If you look at this link it will give you some insight to this badge.
http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk/
Click on cap badges

good info Jerry

peter
Old 04-02-12, 10:00 PM

Phil, Here is a bit about the BLVPF
http://www.legion-memorabilia.org.uk...ges/police.htm
You may notice my name in there aswell.
Here are my BLVPF badges they are on the top line.

JERRY

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 10:07 PM

What you have to remember is that the QVC is in fact the St Edwards Crown and that the RBL badge is just an old representation of that crown

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 04-02-12, 10:34 PM

Mystery solved then for the USC badge too? cheers Mike.

Jerry, saw your name several times on the first link. I will look at the second link when i get to the PC. Where did you find your examples?

Cheers

Phil
Old 05-02-12, 01:43 AM

Reverse picture of the British Legion badge.

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 03:44 PM

I thought I would revive this old thread as I have just come across this photo which shows the cap and collar badges of The Veterans Corps mentioned earlier as a forerunner of the United Services Corps.

The larger photo from which this was extracted clearly shows that he is employed as a commissioner, probably in a cinema in the early 1930s.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veterans Corps 2.jpg (47.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Veterans Corps 1.jpg (46.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-08-18, 11:05 PM

What an amazing image. Thank you for sharing it.

I am yet to find an example of either cap badges or shoulder titles, for my collection.