British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-19, 08:02 PM

Hi Leigh, the top Ustasa tank badge and the collar are genuine, the one below may or may not be. My interest in the spinners is a collection of collars I have have a mix of types and as some are the same as Russian insignia I wondered if they may have been mixed up, or maybe they used both Russian and Yugoslavian insignia. Not the end of the world, but it would be good to know, best wishes Mike
Old 22-04-19, 08:36 PM

I would think that all of my 'Yugo" insignia and awards are post WWII other than a few Ustasa metal insignia and a few medals and awards (including a Russian manufactured Medal For Bravery with documentation awarded to a member of the 13th Partisan Brigade).
I'll check through collar badges, but I think all of my collar dogs for the various arms have the brass IKOM type spinners.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 22-04-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 23-04-19, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Gard, any chance of seeing the backing screws for your army collars? mine are a mixture of typically soviet aluminium and brass Ikom, Zagreb made screws, best wishes Mike.
Here you go.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugoFastners_0001.jpg (31.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ugoFastners_0002.jpg (72.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ugoFastners_0003.jpg (97.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-04-19, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Hi, here are my stars, the rest are various tank insignia. They changed the tank design sometime before 1974, anyone know when? It was kept on by the Serbian army, the other photos. According to Otto von Pivka the hammer and sickle badges were for Tito's Guard and Proletarian Units, make what you will of that. The large star for officers, medium NCOs, small privates,best wishes Mike
I wonder if your tank insignia should merit a revisit to an earlier thread of mine

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=renault
Old 23-04-19, 12:00 PM

Without a doubt this old photograph of the man himself would merit a place in a Yugoslav Peoples Army collection. A pity I can't make heads or tails of the annotations at back

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tito_0001.jpg (34.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Tito_0002.jpg (39.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 23-04-19, 08:38 PM

Hi Leigh and Grad, thanks for the images. It looks like the set I got are a mix of Russian and Yugoslavian, mainly Russian. Hi Grad, I don't think the Renault is Romanian, though I would like it to be as I haven't any. There are differences around the drive wheel and the engine compartment. The Czech are different again, I'll post some pics tomorrow, best wishes and thanks again for the images, Mike
Old 23-04-19, 08:42 PM

Hi Grad, I don't suppose that could be his signature on the back J Broz? just a thought, best wishes Mike
Old 24-04-19, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hi Grad, I don't suppose that could be his signature on the back J Broz? just a thought, best wishes Mike
I had given that a thought, but most probably wishful thinking. His name is Josip Broz Tito. The end word/name on the card looks more like Brod

Thanks

GTB
Old 24-04-19, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Hi Leigh and Grad, thanks for the images. It looks like the set I got are a mix of Russian and Yugoslavian, mainly Russian. Hi Grad, I don't think the Renault is Romanian, though I would like it to be as I haven't any. There are differences around the drive wheel and the engine compartment. The Czech are different again, I'll post some pics tomorrow, best wishes and thanks again for the images, Mike
I wonder if my Renault tank button could be Yugo.

GTB
Old 24-04-19, 02:45 PM

Hi Grad, going back to that post (button) I think you may be right. The rear of the tank on the button appears to have the same three projections on the rear section as the Yugoslav tank badges. Counter to this is the British manufactured tank insignia which shows the button with the coat of arms on it but also the tanks less the three projections. Personally I would go with it being Yugoslavian as the tank is quite unique. I need to look into Renault 17's development and see what I can find on those projections. I've included my Czech badges just to show the individuality in Renault badges. The same applies to British ww1 tanks, but thats another story, best wishes Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05197.jpg (57.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05198.jpg (81.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05199.jpg (65.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 24-04-19, 02:48 PM

Hi, left off the close up of British manufactured badges, hope all this helps, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05195.jpg (52.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 25-04-19, 09:05 AM

HI Mike

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

The old wartime and pre-war items have a certain aura around them. Possibly because they are representative of bygone armies.

I looked for my Renault tank button to take a clearer pic but, as usual, it's playing hide and seek. Will turn up eventually

Thanks again

GTB
Old 26-04-19, 02:42 PM

Hi, the first two projections are supposed to be support brackets for a box, best wishes Mike
Old 27-04-19, 08:03 PM

As promised.

Vienna backmark 'BRUDER SCHNEIDER WIEN' and 3-lobed company logo. 20mm dia.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RenaultTankButton.jpg (47.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RenaultTankbackmark.jpg (36.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by GTB; 27-04-19 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 29-04-19, 07:56 AM

Hi Grad, with the clearer image, I think it may well be Yugoslavian. certainly ticks all the boxes. Rivets and projections roughly the same positions and presenting the same angle, can't think of any other candidate. If you ever want to get rid of it let me know, always happy to swap non armoured items, best wishes Mike