British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-09, 03:47 PM

Default Canadian Metal Titles and McDonalds monopoly

I was sitting back the other day, admiring my collection of insignia. My wife has finally given in, and allowed me to display some of them. (This after I tried to put up a UAV prop over the door, hang a camo net from the living room ceiling, and replace her plants with my helmets) We had a good long discussion about my collection and the fact none of it was displayed. Yes, true there is the odd piece not put away, but certainly this does not qualify as displaying, more like to lazy to put it in the closet.

I have arranged the insignia in 6 16X20 shadow boxes. 5 of the panels represent the 5 overseas Divisions during World War Two, with the insignia mounted on individual cards 4 1/2X4 inches in the appropriate divisional colour. The 6th display has 1st Canadian Army, 1st and 2nd Canadian Corps, and 2nd Independent Armoured Brigade.

Now as we looked and admired my handy work (my wife thinks look great) she happened to ask about the insignia groups that are not complete.

Looking at the 1st Division display, I am missing metal titles to the SLI. I have managed complete insignia to the other 10 Regiments within the division.

In the second division, I am lacking (other than 8th REECE) the metal titles for the SSR.

Third division, I am missing the Highland Light Infantry of Canada to have complete display.

The 4th and 5th Division, I am missing two sets of Titles for each.

After looking at the displays and getting her sincere praise on my accomplishment, she turns to me and says, its like the Monopoly game at McDonalds, you almost collected all of them but there is one missing key piece in each to complete the displays. Honestly, I never thought of it that way, but yes, she is correct.

My collection is at the point where the insignia I am missing is owing to the fact I have never seen them available. I hope I do live long enough to complete this display.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 24-11-09, 10:42 PM

Default Your collection

Hey Cliff
What I really don't understand is why she would have an issue with having a UAV prop and a cam net up. You must have a serious chat with her about this and try and convince her that it will add to the ambience of the house.
regards
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
I was sitting back the other day, admiring my collection of insignia. My wife has finally given in, and allowed me to display some of them. (This after I tried to put up a UAV prop over the door, hang a camo net from the living room ceiling, and replace her plants with my helmets) We had a good long discussion about my collection and the fact none of it was displayed. Yes, true there is the odd piece not put away, but certainly this does not qualify as displaying, more like to lazy to put it in the closet.

I have arranged the insignia in 6 16X20 shadow boxes. 5 of the panels represent the 5 overseas Divisions during World War Two, with the insignia mounted on individual cards 4 1/2X4 inches in the appropriate divisional colour. The 6th display has 1st Canadian Army, 1st and 2nd Canadian Corps, and 2nd Independent Armoured Brigade.

Now as we looked and admired my handy work (my wife thinks look great) she happened to ask about the insignia groups that are not complete.

Looking at the 1st Division display, I am missing metal titles to the SLI. I have managed complete insignia to the other 10 Regiments within the division.

In the second division, I am lacking (other than 8th REECE) the metal titles for the SSR.

Third division, I am missing the Highland Light Infantry of Canada to have complete display.

The 4th and 5th Division, I am missing two sets of Titles for each.

After looking at the displays and getting her sincere praise on my accomplishment, she turns to me and says, its like the Monopoly game at McDonalds, you almost collected all of them but there is one missing key piece in each to complete the displays. Honestly, I never thought of it that way, but yes, she is correct.

My collection is at the point where the insignia I am missing is owing to the fact I have never seen them available. I hope I do live long enough to complete this display.
Old 24-11-09, 11:07 PM

Lets have some pictures - I think this thread is incomplete without them

Mick
Old 25-11-09, 12:21 PM

Default The TRIALS and Tribulations of Collector Wives

We need a new thread - "Ways of gaining the Wife's support"
In my case - I swore up and down that I would only collect "SIGNALS" stuff and that it would never amount to a great deal of things. Well I fell off of that band-wagon and now my wife is just resigned to having a house that is somewhat a prop for the collections. When she parks her car in the garage, she see's the "SIGNALS" sign and the sign that was over the Sigs Tp of 4 Svc Bn (drawn by Gumbo). The basement is completely given over to "The Collection", she just rolls her eyes when she looks into the bathroom - it has a number of framed regiment badge displays and a goodly collection of Boar and WWI plates on the wall. She seems to be resisting the idea of having a framed poster (Boar War) of "The Absent-Minded Beggar" in the bedroom - but I hope to convince her that it really needs to be there (or a Signals painting)!
Old 10-01-10, 04:56 PM

my apologies for the slow reply in getting these photos posted. As time goes on, I seem to get less proficient at photo taking. Here are the best I could get of my overall display on the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 1_QVga.JPG (45.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg badges 2_QVga.JPG (38.7 KB, 52 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 10-01-10, 05:26 PM

Years ago I had the privilege of visiting Hugh King at his home in Farnham. What struck me was that other than a drum at the front entrance (used as a plant stand), there was no sign of anything military!

Phil
Old 10-01-10, 06:00 PM

Default Canadian titles etc

Oops, my wife just caught me looking at this thread (I told her it was better than other sites grown men look at). She wants all of your wives phone numbers so she can organise a support group amongst them... now- do I give her my support in the hope of gaining Brownie points or....
Advice please. Stephen.

PS- we have a three bed house: one is full of my books, badges etc; one has my beloved's craft table and half a rain forest of paper stock; the third I lie awake in at night dreaming of badges. Don't know what downstairs looks like as I only go there to eat before hibernating again.