British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-08, 06:00 AM

Default British made Cloth Canadian Unit Titles

As an extension of our discussion on the Sizeback,glueback,or starchback titles,here are some other types....these,all with a heavy gauge thread have a heavy Linen or almost burlap backing...I have included a British title as well....does anyone have any info where or when this configuration was made or made available for wear.I,m not sure that these were issued by the units or made available as upgrades by tailoring shops..any info would be helpful.

Old 08-06-08, 02:17 AM

Anyone have any ideas on the companies or company that made these flashes???
Old 08-06-08, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default Manufacturers

Mike, I am still working my way through hundreds of documents from LAC. The names of many but not all manufacturers are listed either in tender or contract documents. Unfortunately, there is no way to connect actual examples of the product to the maker. And, from the documents it appears that the Canadian army had allowed the regiments and units in the UK to privately purchase their embroidered shoulder titles up until about 1942. Literally dozens of companies could have filled these orders. Other evidence indicates that the practice of contracting embroidered titles continued into 1943 when the quality of the early issue printed titles was found to be inconsistent. Due to supply and manufacturing problems in Canada, many units were forced to wait until they arrived in the UK to kit out with titles and patches. This was particularly true of the 3rd Div units.

It seems that the practice of acquiring embroidered titles only ended when the printed titles were on full issue. This did not appear to have happened until the spring of 1944. And, this did not stop individuals from acquiring embroidered titles as private purchase. Embroidered titles once again became issue items late in the war or immediate post war period.

One thing is sure. The pattern that you have illustrated is UK acquired.
Old 08-06-08, 04:32 PM

Great info Bill...I,ve often speculated that a lot of these types may have been private purchase stuff from some of the tailor shops near large Army establishments in England.
I am hoping that some of our English friends could shed some local insight on some of these types.I will post some other styles that can be "grouped" together as a definitive type and post them as well. perhaps some hard nosed research could be augmented with some local anecdotal evidence to close in on some of these makers....again thanks for the update..I always anxiously await your emails and posts as I learn something new every time.
cheers for now and see you on the weekend,Mike.
Old 08-06-08, 04:35 PM

Now that I think of it,perhaps I have this thread in the wrong section...although British made,these flashes are really Canadian and perhaps this thread should be moved to the Canadian area? just a thought?
Old 08-07-08, 02:20 PM

Hi, as I had my camera out on a wet and grey day I thought I'd do these for you Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanks and canadian 013.jpg (48.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-01-10, 03:51 PM

Default British made Canadian Cloth

Anyone else know about the company or companies that may have made this type of title? Just checking in to see if anyone has anything to add?
Old 03-01-10, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, I have been in correspondence with a British cloth collector and there is not much more to add at this point in time. He indicated that the time lines that were suggested appear to be correct. The issue of starch back titles appears to have started in the late winter or spring of 1945.
There is nothing in the LAC material that I have reviewed about this pattern of title. That in itself is odd, as there is extensive discussion about embroidered titles and the printed titles.