British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-08, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default Reproduced Canadian Badges 1989

Cleaning up old files and re-organizing on my computer I came across a list of known reproduced Canadian cap badges circa 1989. Most of the badges on this list were made by a fellow in eastern Ontario. I can not remember the characteristics that mark these badges as reproduction, but I will post the list for information. If a collector is considering the purchase of one of the badges listed here, please make sure there is a money back guarantee, and that the badge meets stringent analysis.
Part of the reproduction problem is that many badges have been copied years ago, and now appear to be aged, and thus okay. (Somewhere in hard copy I had a list of repro badges late 1970's compiled in part by Bill Stewart. Should I come across it I will digitize and add to the forum.)

REPRO Canadian Badges circa 1989

Prince Rupert MG (2 piece)
Osgoode Hall COTC
CWTS Red Cross
Knights of Columbus
U of McGill COTC
Prince Edward Island Light Horse
Newfoundland Regiment
Toronto Scottish (small officers version nickel silver)
General List (Maple leaf with GL over beaver)
British Columbia Women’s Auto Assoc
British Columbia Regiment
Irish Regt of Canada kc (bimetal officers base, large size like qc)
RCAF (brass)
RCAF (bandsman in sterling silver)
8th Recce (sterling with white gold overlay)
Maple Leaf 2nd Canadian Special Infantry Battalion Aldershot
RC Air Cadets (badge used for overseas cadets)
NB Regt Tank
Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment
2nd Armd Car
Canadian Parachute Corps
Manitoba Volunteer Reserve
Control Commission Germany (sic)
P.E. Instructor (sic)
15th Light Horse
16/22nd Sask Horse (gilt officers)
Brigadier General
RCA Veterinary Corps (two piece sterling overlay)
Manitoba Mounted Rifles
Alberta Officer Training Corps (??)
CATS (Can Aux Trans Service)
CMHQ maple leaf badge (sterling silver)
Special Service Force (arrows)
Jr Soldier (Salvation army)
Garrison Regt
Trinity College COTC
De La Salle Cadets 247
Toronto Public School Cadets
Bishop Ridley College (cadets)
Veteran’s Brigade
RC Navy CPO kc two piece with sterling anchor
Maple Leaf with three C’s. (corps of commissionaires)
Cadre Instructor
McMaster U COTC (sterling)
Boys Brigade
Regiment de Lévis (small shield)
RCAF busby badge
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Military School of Piping
Seaforth Cadets
Piper’s arm badge
48th Highlanders TRH
48th Highlanders YTC
Seaforth Highlanders 4 piece officer’s sterling
Mount St Louis COTC
Newfoundland Highlanders
Newfoundland Pipe Band
Winnipeg Highland Cadets
20 EFTS
Ashbury College Cadet Corps
Prince of Wales Rangers
Boys Brigade (large pattern in sterling)
Brigadier General (large and small in bronze)
RCA Chaplain Corps collars
RCA Chaplain Corps gold plate with sterling overlay
Galt Aircraft School
King’s Own Rifles Corps
Canadian Women’s Volunteer Reserve
Irish Regt kc sporran
Oxford Rifles
Argyll Tank
Argyll Light Infantry
Halifax Cadets
La Salle Cadets sterling over gold
CWAC base badge
Sask Vets Civil Service (sic)
Canadian Corps Commissionaires 1st type scroll on bottom
Middlesex Regt(qvc crown on kc pattern badge)
Canadian Women’s Service Force (maple leaf pattern)
UCC kc
RCAF Association hand painted
2nd / 10th Dragoons
Cape Breton Highlanders (Canada on top)
Regiment de Québec
Pictuo Regt 2 piece sporran badge
Defence Research
Victoria Rifles of Canada
Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps
Canadian Guards Bandsman
Chaplain’s Badge
Tri-service badge 57mm pattern
UCC qc
Irish Regiment qc sporran
Regina Rifles qc 10 battle honours error
9 Bn CEF
BC Horse shoulder titles
31 B C Horse collars
31 B C Horse cap
Old 21-02-08, 06:52 AM

....you remember if in the back are marked, or anything? The copies usually are marked ?
Old 21-02-08, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Default Unmarked

If I remember correctly, these badges were not marked. At the time these were being put out, that was one of the major concerns. Many dealers and collectors asked the maker to do so, but that was ignored.
Old 21-02-08, 02:21 PM

... thanks Bill A....
Old 24-02-08, 01:09 AM

Default Reproduced Canadian Badges 1989

The guy's name was Hugh Bondy, of Belleville, Ontario, and he was eventually driven out of business by other collectors who threatened him with all sorts of dire consequences if he did not cease and desist.
Wyn
Old 24-02-08, 03:52 AM
Banned

The guy we are currently dealing with who has been destroying our CEF artillery collections is a guy called DRACKS his sight URL is below

http://www.dracks.com:80/daboutdracks.asp

Old 02-03-08, 04:02 PM

Default Fakes, Restrikes and such

Dear Bill,

Thank you for the information.....And good on those that drove the clown out of business...I do not mind buying repro's, fakes, restrikes, some of which are (unfortunatly) almost indistinguishable from the real thing, especially the FOX reproductions.

Question: What can one expect to pay (fair price) for an Osgoode Hall COTC badge and any tips on this clown's reproductions - where they original dies or are they somewaht cude.

Best regards,

Britbadge
Old 24-02-09, 08:00 PM

Default Middlesex badges

Bill,Have you actually seen one of these reproduced Middlesex Badges?...I,m wondering if anyone has a photo of one? cheers,Mike.
Old 24-02-09, 08:37 PM

My question - is there such a thing as a legit QVC Middlesex & Huron badge or are they all fantasy pieces?
Old 24-02-09, 09:21 PM

Default M&H Badges

No the QVC Officers cap badge is totally legit, In Fact I have a uniform grouping to a Captain of the Middlesex And Huron Regt and that is the cap badge on the service dress forage cap.I have two of these, both of high quality frosted gilt and silver.The officers badge also comes in the same design as the EM'S with both lugs and tangs as fasteners.The QVC badge seems to have been widely worn and probably was a design flaw from whoever submitted the design and somehow came into wear.I,m not sure if this badge recieved official approval(how could it with this crown?) but it is fact that it was purchased and worn by officers of the Regt.
My question is what does the repro look like? I,ve seen alot of Bondy specials of other units repros so I,m wondering if it was one of his designs? There were some QVC types floating around in brass with no lugs years ago and some thought that these may have been unfinished officer stampings? Has anyone seen the repros?
Old 24-02-09, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, I honestly dont know if I have seen one. I am not sure what most of these repro's would look like today. They are all 20 years old, and easy things like a shiney finish are gone. Natural aging has taken care of that. In the last couple of months there was a Lake Superior Scottish with one "T" for sale, but I could not, from the listing determine if it was the repro.
Bondy was the maker, but how many were made and how widespread they were dispersed are unknown. Tough question.
Old 02-01-10, 03:49 PM

I was just reviewing this thread and felt that I should mention that many of Hugh Bondy's badges did in fact have makers' marks on the reverse.
This is because the casting method reproduced the entire badge, obverse, reverse, fasteners and all.
The Prince Rupert badge had the "R" for Roden on the back, and I remember seeing the Manitoba Mounted Rifles with the JR Gaunt "plaque" on the reverse. The plaque was actually part of the casting.
The 14th PWOR badge had the Kinnear d'Esterre mark on the back and at the time I asked the owners of Kinnear d'Esterre Jewellers in Kingston if they would consider taking legal action against Bondy. They had no interest in doing so.

Phil
Old 02-01-10, 04:44 PM

There were also CalgaryTank and some others that were all marked Sterlking on the reverse that were of the Bondy horde....several of his badges were marked Sterling and I have some photos and a list somewhere here...
Old 02-01-10, 06:46 PM

Default Bondy restrike

Bill here is the Irish Regiment of Canada copy. There is no markings on the back, and its construction is unlike the correct officer's badge. I also seen a sporren badge to this regiment, (don't remember if was QC or KC) but it was marked COPY. I wanted to buy this badge, but the seller (on Lakeshore Blvd. Toronto) on seeing it was a copy put it in the rubbish !.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA42412.jpg (56.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg STA42415.jpg (54.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-01-10, 07:01 PM

Default NEWFOUNDLAND BADGES REPRODUCED

In the early 90's when these badges were being sold at CSMMI shows I looked at them several times. At one point I remember looking at a case that the above mentioned had at a show and there was four or five of WW II Newfoundland Regiment cap badges, Newfoundland Highlander and Newfoundland Pipe Band in it.

The Newfoundland Highlander is an easy one as it was cast in white metal. The original is in brass and die stamped but no maker marks.

The Newfoundland Regiment WW II Home Guard cap badge seemed to be a stamped version with the Scully maker mark as original but the lugs were not right and the metal composition seemed to have a redish tinge which I have never seen on an original.

I believe there are a couple of repro versions of the Newfoundland Ranger cap badges out there but I'm not sure where they originated.

There is a cast version of the WW I cap badge that I would be leery of. Also there is one very poor die struck version that I believe is of modern vintage. If any of the forum members are purchasing any of these badges I would not purchase unless there is a money back guarntee. If you want to sent me very detailed pictures I will take a look for you.

Regards

Don