British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-10, 10:15 PM
Banned

Often the same result with or without, Bless 'em!

I've just met an old gent who served with the 7th Hussars in Italy in WW2 as part of 7th Armd Div and then post war on development through inspection of captured German armour, Very interesting guy.

Would I be right in thinking that the 7th is one of the predecessors or the QOH.
Regards
Ry
Old 06-09-10, 10:24 PM

Default QOH Officer

Sad but True! He was a Lt.Col or thereabouts.....

Hi Griff

Touche

Gordon
Old 07-09-10, 04:41 PM

Default Amalgamation, 3rd and 7th Hussars

Hi Ry

You are correct.

"3rd The King's Own Hussars" amalgmated with "7th Queen's Own Hussars" on
3rd November 1958 to form "The Queen's Own Hussars".

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 07-09-10, 05:58 PM

Hello good replies cheers
Just aquired another QOH officers and it is nearly identical in construction as my first post badge.
I was really pleased with the second officers badge because to me its made from a differant die.Therfore maybe a differant maker ?
May be one is firmin and the other gaunt ???.
All i need naw is the officers with the scroll attatched with bend over pins instead of little rivets, as shown in post #8 1st tankies.
jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0308.jpg (27.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0309.jpg (30.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by jack; 07-09-10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 06:46 PM
Banned

Thanks Gordon,

Regards
Ry
Old 07-09-10, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Often the same result with or without, Bless 'em!

I've just met an old gent who served with the 7th Hussars in Italy in WW2 as part of 7th Armd Div and then post war on development through inspection of captured German armour, Very interesting guy.

Would I be right in thinking that the 7th is one of the predecessors or the QOH.
Regards
Ry
My late Grandfather was an ex 7th Hussar,but in the 1920`s.Ex regimental boxing champion.I know they served in Aldershot for part of his service.Still had horses then,ive been trying to find the photos of him in uniform at my mothers.
The silver collars were worn by the 3rd KOH and are now worn by the Queens Royal Hussars,althought the QRH are made from silver metal rather than silver anodised.With regard to gold horse collars mentioned earlier,probaly a manufacturing error.The old QOH cloth officers badge has been retained by the QRH as the regimental crest but with the QOH cypher replaced by the Angel Harp.I have an interesting QRH booklet that was produced just after amalgamation.

Last edited by Mike H; 07-09-10 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Further info
Old 07-09-10, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
My late Grandfather was an ex 7th Hussar,but in the 1920`s.Ex regimental boxing champion.I know they served in Aldershot for part of his service.Still had horses then,ive been trying to find the photos of him in uniform at my mothers.
The silver collars were worn by the 3rd KOH and are now worn by the Queens Royal Hussars,althought the QRH are made from silver metal rather than silver anodised.With regard to gold horse collars mentioned earlier,probaly a manufacturing error.The old QOH cloth officers badge has been retained by the QRH as the regimental crest but with the QOH cypher replaced by the Angel Harp.I have an interesting QRH booklet that was produced just after amalgamation.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing that, it would be very good to see the photos if you do manage to find them.

The man I was refering to was invalided out of theatre during the Italian campaign with typhoid.

He was sent to Tidworth on his recovery as part of a team evaluating German armour and then on to Chertsey where I believe he served until after the war.
He recalled working on the wooden mock up of the tortoise tank and also carrying out trials on the praying mantis which was a development of the Bren carrier.

On a badge related note can anyone point me in the directon of a picture of the type of collar worn in the early nineties by "The Queens Royal Irish hussars" please.
Regards
Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 07-09-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 07:46 PM

It really amazes me haw threads go of on another topic ,tangent.
Great but what about my questions Rather confusing.Bravo.
jack
Old 07-09-10, 08:14 PM
Banned

Hi jack,

very sorry if you think that the thread has been hijacked (no pun intended)

You started an interesting thread that has offered some very useful answers I'm sure you'll agree.

Obviously not all the answers are badge related which I know strictly speaking is what the forum is all about, however many of us have a deeper interest and it is helpful when gaining depth of knowledge to sometimes go a little off thread.

I tagged my QRIH Collar question on to the thread as maybe the members who have contributed so far will have this knowledge at hand.

I hope you get all your questions answered and do appreciate that sometimes it can be a little frustrating to wait when you are keen to learn/confirm.
I'm sure if your answers are available you will get them should the other members feel your enquiry is relevant.

Regards
Ry
Old 07-09-10, 08:31 PM

Default QRIH Collar Badges

QRIH Collar Badges
1st pattern on left
2nd Pattern (worn until amalgamation into the QRH) on right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QRIH 1st pattern.jpg (98.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg QRIH 2nd pattern.jpg (99.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-09-10, 09:31 PM

Cheers lads but im trying to brainstorm officers QOH and OR badges and variations and may be restrikes.
jack
Old 07-09-10, 09:38 PM
Banned

Sorry Jack!

Hi GGA,

thanks for the pics.

I have what I believe is a FS cap to the QRIH which had a small vertical slit left from the previous insignia.

I have subsequently mounted a slidered badge that I picked up at Aldershot on Sunday.

I did suspect that the collars where near enough identical to the cap badge.

I must get hold of Colin Churchill's book.

GGA do you know if there is much difference in size between the two and could I ask what fixings your collars have please.

I won't post here yet I hope to upload a picture and details of the cap and others in my albums soon.

Thanks again
Regards to all
Ry
Old 07-09-10, 09:51 PM

First pattern QRIH collar badges are flatter and slightly smaller at 34mm x 23mm with single lug N-S
Second pattern QRIH collar badges Erin and Harp stands proud and are 35mm x 23mm with single lug E-W

There are first and second pattern cap badges in the same designs as the collar badges. The second pattern cap badge is 45mm x 28mm.

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 07-09-10 at 10:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-09-10, 10:00 PM

Im trying my hardest to discuss only all variants of queens own hussars cap badges.And all the makers but a tangent thread which is ok but never minde.
jack
Old 07-09-10, 10:01 PM
Banned

Hi GGA

My cap dates to the first pattern then, due to the NS fixing.

My current badge is a second pattern.

I'll be on the look out!

Thanks very much.

Sorry once again jack, over to you!

Ry