British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-20, 08:40 PM

Default Unusual light bulb badges, opinions welcomed

Recently I acquired these two unusual light bulb badges: light blue embroidery on khaki serge with a rifle green backing cloth. They are the same size as normal light bulb badges.

Any thoughts on them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200660.jpg (79.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20200662.jpg (77.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20200664.jpg (116.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 30-11-20, 08:58 PM

Possibly Netherlands.

Marc
Old 30-11-20, 09:21 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Hi Luc,

WW2 parachute-trained Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry wore (but not always) a rifle green backing to their 'lightbulbs'. But I've not seen a badge with a circle at the base - normally it's a rectangle.

Mark
Old 01-12-20, 01:22 AM

Canadian ?
Old 03-12-20, 08:17 PM

It is conpuzzling isn't it?
Old 03-12-20, 08:51 PM

Nice find , may turn out to be very special.
Old 04-12-20, 08:51 PM

How about the 1st battalion Royal Ulster Rifles? They wore an unofficial shoulder title around 1942-1943 with blue embroidery. The example shown is quite faded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201204_152048_resized.jpg (74.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-12-20, 01:43 PM

The five rigging lines, with a circular device at the end, light blue colour, and pattern on the canopy are more typical of the RAF PJI trade badge. See also the similarity with the badge in Jon's post below;

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=Master

I think Luc's badge may be something different but there are a number of similarities between the two.

Graham
Old 05-12-20, 07:01 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

I spoke with my Father today, who served post-WW2 in the Oxf & Bucks Lt Infty, and recalls many still wearing similar parachute badges. Although the green backing is confirmed per my earlier post, he does not recall any light blue to rigging lines.

I have only ever seen white stitching to 6 rigging lines on RAF versions. Older 'Badge Parachutist Without Wings' were very similar to the current issue (pic attached). I have an older type somewhere so I will post a photo when I find it (but stand to be corrected )

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AB6E66B-EEA8-4128-A3C6-259D3220F688.jpg (27.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-12-20, 02:52 PM

Almost all embroidered lightbulbs I have come across have had six rigging lines. I have three with five rigging lines which are shown. The centre lightbulb with a blue parachute has been attributed to being for 'RAF DZ Master' but this has never been confirmed. Post war my father met an RAF officer in a mess who told him he had had that role.

Attached is a lightbulb on a rifle green backing.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 11-12-20, 08:56 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. I believe mine are identical to the ones shown by Jon (if you follow the link in Graham's post) and Andy.

If it was awarded to DZ masters with a communication role in 1944 that would suggest the 45 members of the RAF 6080 and 6341 Light Warning Units (Market Garden).

That seems a rather small number of men to design a new badge for, especially if they did not have a parachute role?
Old 12-12-20, 04:14 AM

Can't add anything of value to this thread, but wanted to say I think you did very well finding these Luc.

Good collecting

Paul
Old 12-12-20, 11:14 AM

Default RAF connection?

Luc,

I believe that there may be an RAF connection to these lightbulbs but it is circumstantial. Attached is a post war PJI wing on a similar green backing. Over the years I have spoken to many 'old and bold' PJI's but none could recollect ever seeing this backing. Similar responses from aircrew. So a bit of an interesting mystery. The popper studs suggest use in warmer climes and the condition is well used so unlikely to be a fantasy item.

Post war the Air Ministry did not permit the use of para wings by RAF qualified parachutists until the early 1960's. There were RAF para qualified personnel, predominantly in para rescue teams. These guys did wear lightbulbs. So one possibility for these lightbulbs would be RAF para qualified personnel. The green backing may be an unofficial para rescue team addition.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF PJI on green backing front.jpg (28.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg RAF PJI on green backing back.jpg (13.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-12-20, 11:24 AM

Default RAF connection

I forgot to add my thanks to Graham for prompting this train of thought.

If this five rigging line lightbulb were to be RAF and post war does this then make the 'DZ Master' variation also a post WW2 RAF trade badge?

Best regards,
Andy