British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-21, 07:35 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil s View Post
Simple answer I don't Know although I do have a Dedicated room it has spilled out a bit, but I get away with it because mine are framed Four glazed and twenty others kept in architects drawers
Attachment 238206
I have another seven various frames HP' and the like, problem is as you can see some of the frames are getting a bit rammed I have recently been posting badges under regiments opinions welcome I maybe up to about 7% posted. A bigger problem is the junk I get with the good stuff.
Neil,

I am waiting with anticipation for your Manchester Regiment badges to be shown. No rush.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-01-21, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
And I would love to know whats missing to fill the holes on your board as they must be rare beasts.

regards
The ones that nag are the two main varieties of VF/TF SB in circle, the latter one on drab. I have seen lots of copies but not one I could trust or afford at the time. And my Special Service Section is tatty!
Old 11-01-21, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I'd love to see your Guards collection Grumpy.
Andy
Nothing special: PM me with an email and I can send.
Old 11-01-21, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
The ones that nag are the two main varieties of VF/TF SB in circle, the latter one on drab. I have seen lots of copies but not one I could trust or afford at the time. And my Special Service Section is tatty!
Thanks for that.
My SSS is very lacking also.

regards

Old 11-01-21, 08:23 PM

Default too many

Hi Luke,

I have to agree with CB - you've got far too many and need to spread them amongst other forum members ! It has suprised me how quickly you can amass a lot of badges. I have bought a few original ARP first aid tins to keep some of mine in - just an interesting way of storage.

Mark
Old 11-01-21, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I don’t actually know for sure but quite a few! As with Luke the Wife thinks the same as his, in that I have a problem, also this thread helps raise an issue which I hope can be answered here, with so many badges she wants answers to Insurance as the Home Insurance does not cover them? She checked with them! 1st off she insists they are valued!!!! for Insurance purposes, not something you can just walk into a shop with is it! Any ideas? How do you cope with the thought of your badges oneday being destroyed by a Fire or being Burgled? It Iis always there at the back of ones mind! All the best billy
Greetings Billy.

Re insurance; Like you, I was also concerned that insuring my stuff would cost a fortune; and just last year I finally decided to take the plunge.

However, after making a few calls, I found a company that has insured my hoard, which I have valued with them at very well into double figure thousands, (which also includes a medal collection), for the price of a very good Volunteer battalion cap badge.

Have a mooch around and you will find the cover you need.

Regards.

Brian
Old 12-01-21, 11:08 AM

Default how many

Very brave of Luke to start sorting and counting his badges with the Mrs around - I wouldn't dare ! Biggest problem I have is if she's around when the postman comes. I was unlucky the other day when she was first to the door - " 6 parcels for you, nothing for me" she declared. Don't know why she was so miffed - only 5 contained badges...

Mark
Old 12-01-21, 04:38 PM

Mark, LOVE IT!!! Guess I'm lucky in a way. I get a hobby allowance and anything I buy using it is never questioned. Of course in unique times when emergencies come up I forego getting it until things settle down. Unfortunately due to some serious medical issues for both of us, I have been in the forego phase for a bit, but health always comes first. I also want to thank the many members who have been very understanding and worked with me to allow me to add some very nice pieces!

Terry
Old 12-01-21, 05:02 PM

Default badges

Hi Terry,

All the best to you and your family for 2021.

Mark
Old 12-01-21, 06:05 PM

Like Tim (grey green acorn), if I count all the metal and cloth I'd estimate around 4,500. In the "other" category (PPCs, posters, art, swagger sticks, etc.) probably 400 pieces.

Last year I got this to help organize, i.e., I bought an antique for my antiques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg filecab.jpeg (95.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-01-21, 06:32 PM

Thats a real beauty.

regards

Old 12-01-21, 11:09 PM

How many is too many?
I'll start with items I've counted recently:
US Distinctive Insignia - 5500
US cloth - 6000
UK cap & collar badges - 500+
UK cloth - thousands
Rhodesia UDI badges - pretty much every Army badge worn in period
South Africa Defence Force - hundreds

The above doesn't include the uniforms inc body armour, helmets, weapons(de-activated), webbing, boots, challenge coins, a substantial collection of British, US and South African medals, a massive library as well.
I started collecting when I was about 8, and over the last 50 years have just amassed more and more. There are a few on here who have actually been to chez Harrison and can bear witness to my hobby! I must be in the running for most insignia/ largest collection? No actual armoured vehicles (yet).

Ian H
Old 13-01-21, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Thats a real beauty.

regards
Thanks! (assuming you meant my cabinet)

I have a weakness for Arts & Crafts styling and so much of the late 19thC and early 20thC office furniture has that aesthetic. I also got an early 1900s filing cabinet this year that will principally be for holding reference books. That one needs some minor restoration, however.
Old 13-01-21, 06:46 PM

Thanks for this post.
I am a French collector like a few in the North of France.
I collect the British and Commonwealth cap badges.
I love Canadians and New Zealanders very much.
I think my collection reaches 5 to 600 pieces because I did not count, more titles, collars, arm badges etc ...
I have some WWII badges mostly Canadian too.

Cheers.
Good night everybody.
Old 13-01-21, 08:47 PM

Very impressive collections here in the thousands! Between everything (ww1/2 cap badges, the odd shoulder title and collar badge, some medals, modern cloth, modern badges) I must be in the low hundreds but I’ve never catalogued them at all.

I must do it and make an excel list.