British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-07-19, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Border Regiment

In perusing Jon Mill's Badges on Battle Dress, he notes on pg 82 that the Border Regiment's flash included green, yellow and purple. Does anyone know the significance of the colours, in particular the purple?
Old 14-07-19, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
In perusing Jon Mill's Badges on Battle Dress, he notes on pg 82 that the Border Regiment's flash included green, yellow and purple. Does anyone know the significance of the colours, in particular the purple?
Yellow was the facing colour of the 34th (Cumberland) Regiment and the 55th (Westmoreland) Regiment had facings of green.

Purple. It appears that no one knows for sure. Here is a view from the regimental museum in Carlisle.

"The purple colour appeared after 1881 in Border Regimental ties, blazers, caps, etc and we think was introduced to be more distinctive, because a number of other regiments post-1881 had green and yellow as their regimental colours.

With thanks to Stuart Eastwood, Museum Curator, The Regimental Museum of the Border Regiment and the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment."
Old 14-07-19, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks jf42. Do you know what shade of purple? (There is a reason behind the questions. In the post First WW Cdn militia, the Saskatchewan Border Regiment was allied with the Border Regiment. They were amalgamated with the Weyburn Regt in 1936, forming the South Saskatchewan Regt who used a mauve purple for their Coloured Field Service Caps and purple mauve, gold and white on their shoulder titles. I think they may have used the purple for a couple of reasons, including the alliance with the Border Regt.)
Old 15-07-19, 05:25 AM

I am afraid I can't help much, Bill. My notes on the Border Regt relatied mainly to the 34th, but as the colour featured in regimental items across the board- stable belts, ties etc, it ought not be too hard to find examples.

The regimental museum at the former Border Regiment HQ in Carlisle Castle should be able to point you in the right direction: https://www.cumbriasmuseumofmilitarylife.org/

Stop press. This might be a guide:

https://www.cumbriasmuseumofmilitary...-regiment-tie/

I hope that helps.

JF
Old 15-07-19, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Bingo. Thank-you JF. That is the shade of purple used on the SSR CFSC and some of the shoulder titles. (The purple was apparently very difficult to match in dye lots.)
The other explanation for the colours the SSR chose was indigenous flowers, either the prairie crocus or prairie lily, but the latter was not close.
Old 15-07-19, 12:10 PM

Cool

I'm glad the unit connection adds up. Sometimes uncertainties demand explanations where none actually exist. A simple shrug just isn't as satisfying