British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-21, 05:10 PM
41st's Avatar
41st 41st is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 1,844
Default Pembrokeshire Yeomanry Officer’s Shako

This is a recent pick up. I knew it didn’t fit with the standard pattern Shakos of either 1847 & 1857 but did have a suspicion that it might be associated to the band. I took the plunge and was glad I did.
Speaking with Jonathan (Brookies) he reminded me that there might be something in Carmen. Low and behold:-
A most unusual Shako exists having an all red cloth body and a light blue bag hanging from the right side. It bears the white metal plate with the Prince of Wales’ feathers and ‘Castlemartin Yeomanry’. It is suggested that this was a trial pattern for the bandsmen and not necessarily adopted”.
I think we can remove the doubt as to whether or not it was adopted as this is a named Officer’s example. I think Carmen had seen an ORs example as the body of this Shako is leather.
I’ll be adding more info and photos later this evening.
Photos 1 & 2 before and after cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8399D94F-5E0E-4A5A-A23B-B30A0445C5F9.jpg (80.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg C1DC03BC-0821-4418-BA74-927751BFCCF4.jpg (101.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by 41st; 06-09-21 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-21, 05:21 PM
enfant perdus enfant perdus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 156
Default

Amazing find!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-21, 05:45 PM
GriffMJ's Avatar
GriffMJ GriffMJ is offline
LYPAO Boff
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Caerlŷr, yn Lloegr.
Posts: 6,070
Default



Bandsman's Shako
Castlemartin Yeomanry

* Drawn by the late Bob Smith.... i presume from the real thing? The badge certainly looks Victorian ...and like the later 1866 shako badge.
** Note the "sky Blue" bag..... as seen in the Carmarthen YC uniform colour as well.
*** David Knight confirmed Bob's research 23/1/17.
__________________
Cofion gorau
Gruffydd M-J
www.paoyeomanry.org.uk

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-21, 06:23 PM
49lassiepen 49lassiepen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Wales
Posts: 1,705
Default

kevin lovely item
David
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-21, 06:58 PM
Mike H's Avatar
Mike H Mike H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,066
Default

Wow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-21, 07:03 PM
eddie's Avatar
eddie eddie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Wales
Posts: 113
Default

Very nice
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-21, 07:50 PM
41st's Avatar
41st 41st is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 1,844
Default

Diolch Griff,
I hadn’t seen that before.
What I could do with is some help from anyone who might have access to a list of Officers who served with the Pembs Yeo in the 1850s - 1860s. This Shako still has the tailor’s label to what looks like:-
Capt T J Morgan.
Going on the information available & the suppliers label I would date the Shako as between 1855 - 1857.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D37B3314-8E03-412B-9E6F-2536CBF1A73B.jpg (83.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 94C000F7-B4FE-4E1F-AC6C-1AD42969CDB2.jpg (87.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-21, 07:53 PM
GriffMJ's Avatar
GriffMJ GriffMJ is offline
LYPAO Boff
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Caerlŷr, yn Lloegr.
Posts: 6,070
Default

.... certainly 1850s i would think Kevin.
__________________
Cofion gorau
Gruffydd M-J
www.paoyeomanry.org.uk

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-21, 07:58 PM
3dg's Avatar
3dg 3dg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,052
Default

What a lovely Shako!
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-21, 07:58 PM
41st's Avatar
41st 41st is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 1,844
Default

The plume holder is still there behind the crown as well,so I just need to pick one of those up. Should be easy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-21, 08:02 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,830
Default

Thanks for sharing, Kevin. A very handsome piece!
Cheers, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
This is a recent pick up. I knew it didn’t fit with the standard pattern Shakos of either 1847 & 1857 but did have a suspicion that it might be associated to the band. I took the plunge and was glad I did.
Speaking with Jonathan (Brookies) he reminded me that there might be something in Carmen. Low and behold:-
“A most unusual Shako exists having an all red cloth body and a light blue bag hanging from the right side. It bears the white metal plate with the Prince of Wales’ feathers and ‘Castlemartin Yeomanry’. It is suggested that this was a trial pattern for the bandsmen and not necessarily adopted”.
I think we can remove the doubt as to whether or not it was adopted as this is a named Officer’s example. I think Carmen had seen an ORs example as the body of this Shako is leather.
I’ll be adding more info and photos later this evening.
Photos 1 & 2 before and after cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-21, 08:13 PM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,414
Default

A really awesome find!!!

Re a plume, this may help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...plume&_sacat=0

Thank you for sharing.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-21, 08:25 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quality.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-21, 09:05 PM
manchesters's Avatar
manchesters manchesters is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 6,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Diolch Griff,
I hadn’t seen that before.
What I could do with is some help from anyone who might have access to a list of Officers who served with the Pembs Yeo in the 1850s - 1860s. This Shako still has the tailor’s label to what looks like:-
Capt T J Morgan.
Going on the information available & the suppliers label I would date the Shako as between 1855 - 1857.
Nearest I can find is 1872.

Captain J. Saurin MORGAN, Pembroke YC, late 6th Dragoon Guards.

regards
__________________
Simon Butterworth

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-09-21, 08:41 AM
JerryBB's Avatar
JerryBB JerryBB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wales
Posts: 4,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Nearest I can find is 1872.

Captain J. Saurin MORGAN, Pembroke YC, late 6th Dragoon Guards.

regards
history of the Pembroke Yeomanry has for 1874, Captain Morgan J Saurin, I assume the same man as you listed?

in 1852 the 2nd troop was commanded by Capt. Thomas Mansell

A stunning item to find and it cleaned up lovely
__________________
Regards,

Jerry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.