British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-21, 01:28 PM

Default A favour please .

I would be grateful if anyone could do me a favour, I no longer have a copy of Badge Backings and Special Embellishments and am trying to remember something that was said in relation to Kings Liverpool Regt and Liverpool TA badge backings.

If somebody could please post or email me a copy of the relevant page or pages I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.
P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-10-21, 01:41 PM

Images not of wonderful quality, I can't scan the pages as it'd split the book spine.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211015_143634~2.jpg (73.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20211015_143647~2.jpg (52.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20211015_143656~2.jpg (68.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20211015_143710~2.jpg (15.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 15-10-21, 02:09 PM

Leigh, try to photograph and upload them. It maybe easier.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 15-10-21, 02:21 PM

Will do.....
Old 15-10-21, 03:25 PM

Thanks Leigh,

Just what I wanted.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-10-21, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting to note that the page on the Manchesters confirms that the plastic badge stocks were still being used post WW2 by the regiment. If the stocks in the Ordnance stores were being used up that may well help to explain why it is one of the rarer plastic infantry badges compared to other regiments whose plastic badges remained in Ordnance stores until they were disposed of.
Old 16-10-21, 10:22 AM

Did the Dorsets issue their plastic Dorsetshire economies to recruits during the 1950'-60's?
I think it was their WWI economies rather then their plastics?
Either way, there doesn't seem to be a dearth of either.
Old 16-10-21, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

As the Dorsetshires were retitled to the Dorset Regiment in 1951 there would have been a time when the old 'shire' badges were used up. The Regular Bn were likely still wearing the 'shire' badges in 1958 when the Brigade system came in. The TA and Cadets were wearing the a/a Dorset badge in the 1960s.

I have not found any mention of the plastic badge still in use in the late 1940s or early 50s but it's possible. This newsletter show recruits in early1950s and the badges are bimetal imo. https://www.devondorsetregiment.co.u...etter_2016.pdf

1916 Dorsetshire badges are quite rare and I don't think that many were made compared to other designs.

Last edited by Alan O; 16-10-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 16-10-21, 06:52 PM

I may be wrong, I think I've read that the Dorsetshire brass economies rather than plastics were issued to recruits, 50's-60's, memory fails.
The KOYLI brass economies were apparently worn as lapel badges by "old comrades" during the 1920's, 30's, so their museum told me back in the 80's or 90's.
I didn't realise that Dorsetshire brass economies weren't as thick on the ground as I thought.
Old 16-10-21, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Interesting to note that the page on the Manchesters confirms that the plastic badge stocks were still being used post WW2 by the regiment. If the stocks in the Ordnance stores were being used up that may well help to explain why it is one of the rarer plastic infantry badges compared to other regiments whose plastic badges remained in Ordnance stores until they were disposed of.
Interesting information regarding the green diamond of the Manchester Regiment.

One further note of interest in that regard is that the Regiment was given the (I think) unique distinction of wearing their pagri badges on the right hand side rather than the usual left of others.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-10-21, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I may be wrong, I think I've read that the Dorsetshire brass economies rather than plastics were issued to recruits, 50's-60's, memory fails.
The KOYLI brass economies were apparently worn as lapel badges by "old comrades" during the 1920's, 30's, so their museum told me back in the 80's or 90's.
I didn't realise that Dorsetshire brass economies weren't as thick on the ground as I thought.
Memory fails right enough - Crown Imperial no. 56, Autumn 1989, page 14, an article "Head Dress Badges of The Dorsetshire Regiment" by Colin G Churchill.

"(c) An all gilding metal variety, (generally referred to as "all brass") being the WW1 economy issue and worn on the service cap 1915-1919 by all Bns. Smith & Wright are known to have made some of these badges.

The Regimental museum record that this badge was also worn by recruits circa 1927. There is no officer equivalent."

I was 3 or 4 decades out re. the wearing of WWI economies by recruits.
Old 17-10-21, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

The date ties in with KLR's discovery of official documentation telling regiments that they had to use up the WW1 all brass badge stocks before they would get any more bimetal ones.