British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-21, 06:13 PM

Question Middlesex Yeomanry, cap or collar

I picked up a Middlesex Yeomanry badge, 35mm across, 2 loops N-S, G/M, GvR cypher is it a cap or collar?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Old 30-08-21, 12:38 AM

Hi Rob,

I have both WM and GM Middlesex Yeomanry badges that are looped east-west and both are collars I have been told with good authority but collars were also worn in the cap. Luke has a nice slidered version in his 1914 yeomanry album. Yours being N-S looped I cannot comment on as to whether that makes it more likely to have been a cap versus a collar but then I would have thought there would have been a number of manufacturers and different dies for these badges and it could be a manufacturers variant.

That's my two cents worth anyway, cheers Dean
Old 30-08-21, 09:12 AM

Default Middlesex Yeomanry

Thanks for the reply Dean, I have not dug out my Middlesex Yeomanry board to compare it with the badges I have got which includes Imperial Yeomanry in G/M, but with so very little difference in size, quite likely a collar worn as a cap badge.

Rob
Old 06-09-21, 10:52 PM

Coincidentally I had a similar discussion with a mutual friend just last week on this topic with respect to Prince of Wales feathers found with N-S loops in BM and bronzed finish.

Sadly nothing conclusive and he knew of no real significance to these but felt they might be collars. Personally my gut says they (PoW) are not collars since there’s so few.

To my knowledge the size of the Middlesex Yeomanry cap and collars are identical.

As Dean points out there were many versions and manufacturers. They’re found in GM, WM and bronzed GM finishes. Some of the rubbed bronzed finish badges I attribute to the ‘order to polish’ in WW1, like the attached. So it may simply be a manufacturers variation.

Additionally with ‘stars’ there’s the chance it’s simply a mistake. We know that from time to time Irish Guards badges appear with erroneous N-S loops, courtesy of John Mulchay. Presumably an easy mistake to make with a small symmetrical badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E5F1936-B6F4-4B0E-9BA7-789A2D5E499C.jpg (77.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1795B916-5CAE-4114-A0CC-C7BF5FBC1ADA.jpg (64.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-09-21, 06:31 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I picked up a Middlesex Yeomanry badge, 35mm across, 2 loops N-S, G/M, GvR cypher is it a cap or collar?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Hello Rob

This Motto has loops N/S

.....as do the early issue 1916 PAOLY cap badges.

....in more modern times.... the first and second issue of the post 2006 RY Cap badge had loops N/S.

For me a collar badge will have short "D" loops, not always, most of the time.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 07-09-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 09:12 AM

Default Middlesex Yeomanry

Thanks again chaps for the additional thoughts, now on my Middlesex Yeomanry board.

Rob