British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-21, 08:23 PM

Default SAAF Bullion wings

Dear all,

A recent find, this nice bullion SAAF wings. However, the colours of the coat of arms seem to be inverted. Mistake by the manufacturer? If you have a clue about it... I have placed a half wing with the relevant colours as a comparison.

Cheers,

AATTV
Old 19-01-21, 08:55 PM

Lovely originals !!
Best wishes
Steve
Old 20-01-21, 11:34 AM

Thanks!

My new ones:

Cheers,

AATTV
Old 20-01-21, 03:44 PM

What is the RRAF wing? I'm not aware of any Rhodesian wing of that pattern, maybe a prototype?
Some lovely wings you have though!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 18-02-21, 09:05 AM

The bullion ones would be intended for Blue Undress or Full Dress (pre WW2). Inversion likely a tailors mistake.
The other SAAF wings look fine. The RRAF letters one is IMO a fantasy item as I've never seen a photo of one worn and I have a personal interest in the SRAF/RRAF era so am always studying any new photos I come across from that period.
Old 21-08-21, 08:26 AM

Default RRAF Bullion Pilot Wings

Hi Milhistry

I tried some days ago to reply to your thread about that pair of RRAF bullion pilot wings. I think it was posted in February. and you felt it was a fantasy wing or fake. I may have aborted the attempted reply as I was unable to attach photos. Yes, you have correctly concluded that I am hopeless at tech.

Anyway, about four years ago I won a lot on a Witherell's auction, which included two RRAF bullion pilot wings, one of which is (to me) identical to the one you commented on, while the other has a brown cotton wreath. I have no idea if they are fake/fantasy wings.

Today I made email contact with Alex Rice and Gareth Nicholas. These are the first like-minded collectors I have ever contacted, so I'm all excited...

If you'd like to see pictures of the RRAF wings, could you email me ianhill42@yahoo.com as at least I think I know how to email you the photos. Sorry to be so useless at computers.

I look forward to hearing from you. Let me know what you collect.

Regards

Ian
Old 02-09-21, 01:56 PM

The wire embroidered RRAF wings are made in Pakistan and are a complete fantasy item, despite looking very nice. The RRAF never wore wire embroidered wings. on service dress / work dress. It is also rather doubtful that they were worn in miniature on mess dress as well.

The embroidered RhAF wing at bottom in the first post is also a well known repro, sadly. Have attached images of original types as examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRAF pilots wing KC a 1940s.jpg (32.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SRAF pilots wing KC b 1940s - 1953.jpg (36.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 31-12-23, 07:32 AM

The bullion SAAF wing looks like the type made in Egypt by enterprising tailors for pilots and aircrew to wear.
Though bullion wings were unofficial, there were popular and permitted to be worn.

I have several examples of both pilot and aircrew in both bullion and cotton embroidery