British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-20, 09:05 PM

Default Dustbin Lug Base

I was under the impression the lugs with the round base where a sign to avoid the badge - is this always the case?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133560625919
This is a Guards badge, very well made by the look of the front with enamel, but at leat one lug is the dustbin lid type - is the badge real? If its not real, it looks well made to my untrained eye.
Its not my thing it just popped up in suggested, and the price made me look.
Old 06-11-20, 09:23 PM

Is there a reason you keep flagging up live auctions?

As with the Paras beret if it was an item you were interested in and were it genuine you’d have just highlighted a scarce and valuable item to a whole forum of collectors.

My suggestion is to post photographs rather than links.

Re the badge personally I would not buy it.
Old 06-11-20, 09:27 PM

Its a Fake, quality is horrendous.
Andy
Old 06-11-20, 09:44 PM

Thanks Andy.
Luke, nothing wrong with being curious, I personally don't see an issue. You have a slightly accusatory tone, I was under the impression it was all about learning here?
Some people have expressed helpful views on items, and I've bought them , or at least bid. If something is genuine and other people on here see it and they bid it doesn't bother me. If its good enough, many people will spot it,one or two extra from here won't affect me - I'll leave a price, some I'll win,some I'll lose. If someone from the forum with deeper pockets see's it because of my post, I won't lose sleep over it if they outbid me - I'll still learn a little from the experience.
If its a high price, it peaks my interest as it means a few people see it as genuine - if it is genuine, I'll look closely and try and learn why from it. If its a fake, I'll likewise look closely and learn.
One day I'll be in a position with some financial mistakes behind me and subsequent fakes, and I'll be in a position with those mistakes to help people out - until that day, I ask.

Last edited by gary1666; 06-11-20 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 11:12 PM

I would not call the quality horrendous, but isn't what one should expect from an original.

CB
Old 07-11-20, 08:52 AM

Hi CB,
I expected a fake to be very poor quality, hence why I asked, it seemed reasonable quality on first inspection. Looking closely though there is some roughness in the line of the red enamel backing at the bottom, and the 'ageing' on the backing plate is not right either.
Gary
Old 07-11-20, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Thanks Andy.
Luke, nothing wrong with being curious, I personally don't see an issue. You have a slightly accusatory tone, I was under the impression it was all about learning here?
Some people have expressed helpful views on items, and I've bought them , or at least bid. If something is genuine and other people on here see it and they bid it doesn't bother me. If its good enough, many people will spot it,one or two extra from here won't affect me - I'll leave a price, some I'll win,some I'll lose. If someone from the forum with deeper pockets see's it because of my post, I won't lose sleep over it if they outbid me - I'll still learn a little from the experience.
If its a high price, it peaks my interest as it means a few people see it as genuine - if it is genuine, I'll look closely and try and learn why from it. If its a fake, I'll likewise look closely and learn.
One day I'll be in a position with some financial mistakes behind me and subsequent fakes, and I'll be in a position with those mistakes to help people out - until that day, I ask.
My tone is more accusatory. I think you are being selfish. Some members of this forum operate on a low budget which they compensate by searching long and wide. They are hoping to find misrepresented objects and gems lurking in piles of junk. Over time this has become part of their hobby. They hate members showing links to active items.

I think you should start learning from closed auctions.
There is no forum policy stopping you, but I hope your live auction queries will go unanswered.
Old 07-11-20, 09:31 AM

Wow...I only ask if its already at a big price, thats what makes me wonder about it. If it was a true sleeper I wouldn't notice it as it wouldn't have the big price tag relative to the item.
I've asked about, I think 4 or 5 items on auction, in 5 years, and I've regretted asking as it always attracts negativity. Many people on here post live auction links asking if good or not, but they don't seem to get grief - is that because they're high contributors, or everyone knows them? Seems to be that way
I think thats the end of me on this forum

Last edited by gary1666; 07-11-20 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 09:41 AM

To all the helpful people, I appreciate your advice over the years and good luck with your hobby
Old 07-11-20, 10:26 AM

A difficult topic !

If someone spots an obvious fake or a dodgy dealer it's OK to post a 'live' link as this will make forum members aware and prevent them buying rubbish.

Yet , if someone spots an item they are not sure about (fake/overpriced) they shouldn't post a 'live' link asking for advice but can post a photo.

1) If they don't post a link members can't identify the dealer.

2)If they don't post a link and go ahead and buy the item and later post a photo , then members point out it is a fake , they have wasted their money.

3) If they do post a link it may prevent another member getting a good deal.

It seems they can't win whatever they do.

I have ended up (unknowingly) bidding against fellow members and that can end up with one losing out on an item and the other paying more than was needed.

Now I PM them (or they me) to find out if the item is a good deal and if they plan to bid ......... and we can reach a 'gentleman's agreement' rather than going head to head.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 07-11-20, 11:50 PM

With regards to that badge, it is the third identical badge to be sold within as many months on eBay. Two by the same seller.
Obviously a number of these are now available on the "dodgy dealer" circuit.

Buyers beware.
Old 08-11-20, 02:20 AM

My ‘tone’ was not accusatory it was a question following two such threads within just a few days.

Yes we are all here to learn and I would urge you not to leave. As already pointed out in the Para beret/badge thread you doubtless didn’t receive a reply until after it ended because members were watching or bidding. So you didn’t learn in time for it to be of assistance, which is partly my point.

Flagging up fakes or dodgy dealers wares is 100% what this forum is and should be about. I agree with Mike Vee there.

However, unsolicited or perspective buyer ‘what do you think of this?’ auction links are a tad different. Whilst not against any rules you’ve effectively just chummed the water in a shark tank if it’s good.

Posting the pictures from the listing rather than the listing itself I think will get you more replies in real-time that can be of assistance, ruffle less feathers and if it was an item you wanted a better chance of acquiring it.
Old 08-11-20, 02:59 AM

Posting images not of ones own comes into conflict with forum rules, so I tend to post a link.
An old post from when a complaint was made- https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ages+copyright Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 08-11-20 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 06:36 AM

I have no problem with people flagging live auctions and asking questions, so no problem with Gary asking. I agree that members shouldn't flag auctions to put the spotlight on their own listings but so what if they highlight an auction that you are watching and hoping to get cheap. That is what the hobby is about.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-11-20, 05:39 PM

Currently has 20 bids, auction almost over but obviously someone like it. Bid stands at £367.77p at this time.