British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-21, 07:12 PM

Default Hampshire Enamel Badges informaion

Good Evening,
Would I be correct in assuming that the serjeants enamel cap/helmet badge only has the 'Hampshire' part of the scroll in enamel, and that the lower tips are in chrome? and that senior officers badges have the whole scroll enamelled? Also, regarding attachments, do the senior officer badges have blades while the others don't?
Lastly. Are the bladed cap badges also used as warrant holder badges? or are the warrant badges flatter?
billyh
Old 16-12-21, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Good Evening,
Would I be correct in assuming that the serjeants enamel cap/helmet badge only has the 'Hampshire' part of the scroll in enamel, and that the lower tips are in chrome? and that senior officers badges have the whole scroll enamelled? Also, regarding attachments, do the senior officer badges have blades while the others don't?
Lastly. Are the bladed cap badges also used as warrant holder badges? or are the warrant badges flatter?
billyh
The Hampshire Constabulary Senior Officers & Sergeants helmet plate and cap badge (which all have an overall chrome finish) have enamelling in the centre rose which is red and on the lower (Hampshire) scroll, which is dark blue. The tips of the scroll are smooth and are incapable of taking enamel.

Some of the plates and badges have loops (lugs), some have blades and some cap badges have a shank and screw fitting. These differ depending on the age of the plate/badge and, in respect of cap badges, their intended use.

The warrant badge is in effect the senior officer/sergeant cap badge with blade fittings.

The earlier helmet plates and cap badges were made with hard fired enamel. In recent years this has been replaced by coloured cold plastic enamel/epoxy. This tends to "pop off" when the damp gets behind it often leaving a totally chrome badge beneath without any evidence of colouring.

Its worth noting that Hampshire Constabulary have never worn brass/gilt plates or badges (complete with enamelling). These can occasionally be seen offered for sale described as "ceremonial" examples. They are not, they have simply missed the chroming process and have been "rescued" from a scrap bin at the factory.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 16-12-21 at 09:49 PM.
Old 16-12-21, 09:47 PM

Thanks Dave,
Perhaps the senior officer photo I saw had the reflection of the blue enamel on the chrome then. You've also answered another question I was going to ask re variations of badge. That being the badge I saw with only red enamel, and nothing on the scroll.
Billyh