British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-22, 06:34 PM

Default Combined Ops formation sign – good or bad? Dates of use?

I recently got this felt Combined Operations formation sign, 8 x 9cm, and wanted to check that if it is good or bad and, if good, any ideas for dates of use?

It will be offered for sale on here if good.

As always any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0912 (2)b.JPG (53.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0913 (2)b.JPG (105.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0914 (2)b.JPG (72.7 KB, 30 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 16-10-22, 10:29 AM

The backing cloth is a bit unusual but I'd say it is original and from around WW2.
Old 16-10-22, 11:06 AM

There are so many variants of these Combined Operations badges - reflecting numbers entitled to wear it, their dispersion across the globe, time scales of wear during and after WW2. Personally, I find it tricky to de definitive in my opinions; apart from known variants, based on photographic evidence and attribution.

As for this variant, it looks unusual colouring (may be lighting), but well made. It would be interesting to know if the reverse flares.

My hunch would be later rather than early timescale - based on no evidence, so pure speculation. I note it is tombstone shape, which confuses the speculation a bit.
Old 17-10-22, 08:23 AM

Have a look here for known variants. I am sure that there must be other non-recorded variants.

https://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20SPECIMENS.htm
Old 17-10-22, 07:51 PM

Thank you all for your comments; regarding the backing, it burns (quite quickly) rather than melting.

I'll check the colour in daylight tomorrow to see it there is significant colour variation from my photo, and post the result.

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 18-10-22, 07:23 AM

Hi Graham
Please be careful with burn test - when referring to 'flaring' I meant going bright when put under UV light in the dark.
Not a 100% reliable test, but often picks up synthetic thread to help date items.
All the best
Mike
Old 19-10-22, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Hi Graham
Please be careful with burn test - when referring to 'flaring' I meant going bright when put under UV light in the dark.
Not a 100% reliable test, but often picks up synthetic thread to help date items.
All the best
Mike
Thank you Mike, I misunderstood. Checking under UV light today neither front nor back showed any reaction to it. I also checked the colour in daylight and my photos make it look more 'blue' when it is actually closer to navy blue. Appreciating that the tests aren't 100% foolproof it would appear to be an older patch, is that correct?

Thanks again to everyone for their inputs, as always much appreciated.

Graham