British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-15, 11:15 PM

Default Hunting a Memorial Cross!

How hard can it be right? I', broadcasting this request over every Canadian Military forum, page etc.... that I know of, hoping somebody knows something!

I am on the hunt for a Memorial Cross for this chap. Frank Albert Casson RCAF. He was attached to the RAF on Liberators out of India when his plane was shot down and the survivors from his crew were taken prisoner by the Japanese. Frank died due to Nervous Beri Beri while interned. I've had some documents and photos from his family for a while now, and am happy to soon get another piece of the set. I have his spare AG wing that was returned to his mother with his personal effects along with his OPS wing. All I would need is the Memorial Cross. It could have the service number R19163 or J95147. I'm unsure of the number because according to his file he was shot down as a Sgt, appointed a WO one day after his capture, and then upon his death and subsequent notification to the family commissioned as a Pilot Officer.
Finding this cross is very important to me

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casson2.jpg (34.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-07-15, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, I am sure you have explored this with the family. The Mem Cross would have been sent to the mother. Have you checked with the family about the Cross? (In two cases I researched, the mother was buried with the crosses.)
Old 10-07-15, 01:08 AM

No Bill. I haven't yet. I haven't even checked yet to see if any of the family is even still around. The grouping was acquired by my grandfather at least 20 years ago. Miraculously another document pertinent to the group will be reunited with the rest in the near future. It's been a very sentimental group to me because of the personal detail a few of the documents contain, but actual contact with the family, I have had none. This is just the first of the "feelers" I'm extending