British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-13, 04:23 PM

LCol Sajjan, OMM, MSM, CD wears his turban bun near the back (so as to fit the helmet), he has also developed a custom gas mask too.
Old 06-05-13, 06:25 PM

Default CG634

I know this is a badge forum, but for the sake of accuracy and for those who do not know about the current CF helmet; if you remove or modify the internal suspension system of the CG634, then you defeat the protection provided by the helmet. Not only does the outer layer of the helmet provide protection but the spacing and manufacture of the internal suspension is there to minimize trauma injuries to the head.

That being said, I would be interested to hear from one of our CF members who wears a turban or any other religious headdress to find out exactly how they wear the helmet. I am sure their factual experiences will enlighten us more then hearsay and secondary statements.
Old 06-05-13, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I know this is a badge forum, but for the sake of accuracy and for those who do not know about the current CF helmet; if you remove or modify the internal suspension system of the CG634, then you defeat the protection provided by the helmet. Not only does the outer layer of the helmet provide protection but the spacing and manufacture of the internal suspension is there to minimize trauma injuries to the head.

That being said, I would be interested to hear from one of our CF members who wears a turban or any other religious headdress to find out exactly how they wear the helmet. I am sure their factual experiences will enlighten us more then hearsay and secondary statements.
That would be a great idea Ed. I am not sure we have a forum member in the CF who wears a turban, do we??

Another thought would be look the Lt.Col up and drop him an email on the DWAN. Ok I am getting my coat and going for a walk now. LOL

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 07-05-13, 04:31 AM

I sent a message to a buddy of mine in Edmonton, about this issue and the reply I got....( I mentioned seeing the fellow who in 09 was a Major, then again in 2011 as a Lt Col.)

You are correct it is LCOL Sajan a good friend of mine knew him since he was Pte Sajan. He takes the turban off and covers his head with a dew rag. Seen him do it. The turban is one of the articles of faith of the Sikh religion. You can take it off and still cover your head and hair and retain their faith . Same with the gas mask a little grease and voila a seal.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 07-05-13, 04:26 PM

Happy to see my book has generated informed discussion. I traded e-mails with Lt-Col Sajjan but only insofar as design and use of turban in CF was concerned and did not address issues with helmets.
Clive
Old 02-07-13, 10:55 AM

When I was serving in the British Army (RAOC) I knew one or two Sikhs who wore either a Dark Blue or Green Turban for normal waar and one I knew wore a smaller Keski with the hair in a bun at the back for Sport.

Wanted Poppy Pins