British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-10, 06:50 PM

Wonderful work onthe German helmets...I have a Named DD coastal Artillery helmet that my father brought with him from the bunkers at Katwijk Holland when he came to Canada....I,ve often thought about tracking down the former German owner. It is named and has his service number.
Old 08-05-10, 06:55 PM

WJ, guys, this has been most helpful. As far as the research goes, if I can get the name connected with the service no. I'll have things rounded out. I know his rank, awards, etc., as they are on the BD, and of course, I have the unit history.

Hello Michael, shoot me a PM with the name and number on it. Chances are it isn't a service number but a Feld Post nr. which can be likely tracked to the unit. We could then get the unit history.
Regards,
HB
Old 08-05-10, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hey HB, Take the tunic as an artifact with a "grain of salt". There have been many instances of errors on the ribbons, both intentional and unintentional. There may have also been post war service which give more entitlements.
Old 08-05-10, 07:07 PM

I hear you, but it doesn't look like this corporal/bombardier loaded himself up with awards. Looks to be standard stuff for an EM/OR in that unit. I reckon if someone was boguing up their service they'd give themselves a VC or something
Old 08-05-10, 08:40 PM

Hi HB...the name in the helmet is P.SELLIN and the number is N 29233/40E Hope this makes sense to you....have you tried Arnie Kay with your 14RCA service number...he has a few tricks up his sleeve from time to time..cheers,Mike.
Old 10-05-10, 02:17 AM

For what its worth, the number is an early one originally allotted to the 66th Fd Bty, RCA.
Old 19-05-10, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
For what its worth, the number is an early one originally allotted to the 66th Fd Bty, RCA.
Thanks, my info shows enlisted out of Montreal. The 66th and 81st Fd. Btys. became the 14th RCA, which was 105mm SP guns:

The official history states as follows:
"The first week in Jun. 1940 [names all brigades forming the 14 RCA]...At the same time in Montreal, P.Q., the 66 Bty. of Montreal and 81 Bty. from Shawinigan Falls, P.Q. also mobilized to form the 66/81 Field Bty under Command of Major H. Bates. In August 40, the Two Btys moved to Petawawa Military Camp where they became the 14 Field Regt. under the Command of Lt. D.R. Agnew."
Old 22-04-11, 06:29 PM

Guys, mystery solved, got the service records for Bdr. Wilson Edgar Bailey, 14 RCA D7689. Everything matches up, very interesting. I like to research my collector pieces so that in a way the memories of the sacrivices and heroism of men like Bdr. Wilson E. Bailey are preserved:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-Div.-research

Did the same for a camoflage / unit flashed helmet of the Seaforth Highlanders:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....II-helmet-ID-d

Thanks for the help and guidance!

Regards,
Hambone