British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-10, 02:31 PM

Default Aide-de-Camp question?

Hello,
I just wanted to throw this question out there. Does anyone have any photos of Honourary Aide-de-Camps for their provinces Lt. Governor? I understand that there is two versions that exist. A cloth version that has the shield of arms of the province surrounded in maple leafs and there is the metal type with just the shield of arms of the province. Does anyone know which provinces have a particular type? As well do the three Territory Commissioners have the same ADC?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Old 29-04-10, 01:47 AM

I have only ever seen the H/ADC for Ontario and it was a cloth badge worn on the shoulder straps of his CF Greens (when a metal badge would have been just as approprite so I assumed that one didn't exist.) Can't remember if there was a wreath. This was worn by Lt-Col Dan MacKay, Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.
Old 05-05-10, 05:28 AM

Here is some pics of some officers wearing their ADC badge I hope this may jog some memories?
Thanks Again

Old 05-05-10, 05:58 PM

Julian Fantino is either head of the Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P) or the Metro Toronto Police (I forget which came first), so he should hardly be wearing an ADC's insignia.
Old 05-05-10, 06:22 PM

This picture shows him as O.P.P. chief.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 05-05-10, 06:31 PM

As far as I know the Lt.Governor's Aide-de-Camp for the province of Quebec doesn't wear any special badge or insignia.The picture shows the former Lt.Governor of Quebec with her ADC.
Jo
Click on the image to enlarge.
http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewik...ault-flags.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 05-05-10, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Julian Fantino is either head of the Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P) or the Metro Toronto Police (I forget which came first), so he should hardly be wearing an ADC's insignia.
I'm not sure of the OPP protocol but the CDS is Aide-de-Camp for the GG? Same would be for the OPP commissioner to the Lt. Gov of the province? Correct me if I'm wrong!
here is another pick of the same badge on an unidentified Brigadier General

Old 05-05-10, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
As far as I know the Lt.Governor's Aide-de-Camp for the province of Quebec doesn't wear any special badge or insignia.The picture shows the former Lt.Governor of Quebec with her ADC.
Jo
Click on the image to enlarge.
http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewik...ault-flags.jpg
This is why I'am seeking clarification. I know some army and air force ADC wear them on their sholders.

Old 05-05-10, 09:16 PM

You have better eyes than me....

Jo

Old 05-05-10, 09:18 PM

I've seen one for the Province of Saskatchewan and I know who has it... I'll try for a photo the next time I'm in Saskatoon... Jim
Old 05-05-10, 09:20 PM

Thanks,
This subject is a little harder than I anticipated. Obviously not one that has been covered indepth.
Old 05-05-10, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
The office of ADC (especially honourary ones) is not limited to the military. The Governor-General will usually have three 'working' ADCs, usually of Captain rank and representing each of the services. In addition the GG may have a number of Hon ADC's. Traditionally, this includes the Lt-Col Commanding the Governor General's Foot Guards, the Commissioner of the RCMP and others.
The use of the Ontario Lt-Gov badge on the chest of the BGen is a new one to me as the military 'traditionally' wear it on their shoulder straps - as a BGen this guy would have room for it. Having the Commissioner of the OPP as an Hon ADC is not surprising and may even be traditional for Ontario.

Here is a photo of the more typical Hon ADC, a Military Police Lt-Col. Note that he wears the badge on his shoulder strap. Incredibly, the Lt-Col has 6 medals but not one is operational (Queen's Silver Jubilee, Canada 1215, Queen's Golden Jubilee, CD and bar, St John Amb Service Medal and what looks like the Commissionaires Service Medal. In addition he wears the Commander of the Order of St. John.)
This is not to be disrespectful of this soldier's long service to Canada - just that one sees so many UN, NATO, etc.. medals these days.

Last edited by servicepub; 05-05-10 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 01:53 PM

The unidentified BGen in the photo is BGen John Collin who commands Joint Task Force Central and Land Force Central Area. Like Mr (sorry, don't know rank) Fantino, John's appointment is most likely honourary vice one of the working aides. When I was EA to Comd LFAA in NS, the commanders of the three services in Halifax as well as the RCMP Division Commander were all honourary ADC to the LGov although they did not wear the insiginia. Only the working aides wore the insignia and it was metal and worn on the shoulder straps.
Old 06-05-10, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jranrose View Post
Hello,
I just wanted to throw this question out there. Does anyone have any photos of Honourary Aide-de-Camps for their provinces Lt. Governor? I understand that there is two versions that exist. A cloth version that has the shield of arms of the province surrounded in maple leafs and there is the metal type with just the shield of arms of the province. Does anyone know which provinces have a particular type? As well do the three Territory Commissioners have the same ADC?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Jason,
I imagine that you will contact the 10 provincial Lt-Governors' offices and ask? If so I look forward to your findings as this has never really been addressed.
Clive
Old 07-05-10, 12:10 PM

Incredibly, the Lt-Col has 6 medals but not one is operational (Queen's Silver Jubilee, Canada 1215, Queen's Golden Jubilee, CD and bar, St John Amb Service Medal and what looks like the Commissionaires Service Medal. In addition he wears the Commander of the Order of St. John.)

I'm sorry, but isn't he wearing a UN medal for CYPRUS? (Third from left)