British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-18, 05:07 AM

Default St George badge/brooch?

I asked for help identifying this badge quite a few months ago but no one could tell me anything at the time. I would really like to know the origin of this particular St Geo design and the brooch gives a handy clue because it is dated 1869. The brooch is high quality, gilt, silver plate and red velvet and the badge in the centre is obviously military. The motto is the same as used extensively by the Bank of England.
My research could find no reference to an "L. V. Asylum Festival" in 1869. Could it be a fund raiser for a regimental home for old soldiers?
Is the St Geo badge the same pattern as used by the QV rifles?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asylum2.jpg (104.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 16-09-18, 07:05 AM

Question St George badge/brooch?

Possibly something to do with the Bank of England.

Rob
Old 16-09-18, 09:03 AM

These websites refer to a Licenced Victuallers’ Benevolent Institution Asylum, might be a starting point:

http://www.myfriendshouse.co.uk/secr...am-the-asylum/

https://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/P...LVAsylum.shtml

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1376539

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 16-09-18, 06:54 PM

Some 'connecting information' concerning the LVA Asylum now known as Caroline Gardens ... There is a famous portrait of Nelson being shot on board HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, one of the Royal Marines going to assist him is Sgt. James Secker, born Norwich Norfolk about 1780. Following his discharge James Secker is known to have married, firstly Alice Currey at Queensborough,Isle of Sheppey 4th June 1810, Alice died 1st June 1831. James Secker re-married 30th July 1833 Caroline Sophia Emmons at St. Georges, Camberwell and shown as 'widower'. James was apparently a licensee at some time at The Kings Srms, King Street, Southwark (now Newcomen Street).
Following Jame's death, Caroline entered the LVA Asylum and died there 1st January 1845 at the age of 56.
During WW2 the buildings and church were damaged and the occupants evacuated to Denham, Bucks. In 1959 the London Borough of Southwark took over the buildings for Social Housing and re-named them Caroline Gardens 'after the widow of Sgt. James Secker, Royal Marines, who went to Nelson's aid at the Battle of Trafalgar'.
Old 16-09-18, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=Sunray9;454431]Some 'connecting information' concerning the LVA Asylum now known as Caroline Gardens ... There is a famous portrait of Nelson being shot on board HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, one of the Royal Marines going to assist him is Sgt. James Secker, born Norwich Norfolk about 1780. Following his discharge James Secker is known to have married, firstly Alice Currey at Queensborough,Isle of Sheppey 4th June 1810, Alice died 1st June 1831. James Secker re-married 30th July 1833 Caroline Sophia Emmons at St. Georges, Camberwell and shown as 'widower'. James was apparently a licensee at some time at The Kings Arms, King Street, Southwark (now Newcomen Street).
Following Jame's death, Caroline entered the LVA Asylum and died there 1st January 1845 at the age of 56.
During WW2 the buildings and church were damaged and the occupants evacuated to Denham, Bucks. In 1959 the London Borough of Southwark took over the buildings for Social Housing and re-named them Caroline Gardens 'after the widow of Sgt. James Secker, Royal Marines, who went to Nelson's aid at the Battle of Trafalgar'.[/spelling !QUOTE]
Old 16-09-18, 07:15 PM

I have memories of that asylum (off Asylum Road) from when I lived as a kid dahn the Old Kent Road guv'nor.
Just walking past it mind, not as my address.
Old 17-09-18, 04:15 AM

Many thanks for all the helpful replies, there seems no doubt that "L V" stands for Licenced Victuallers, intruiging why they should choose the St Geo badge as the centrepiece, and also choose the well known Bank motto.
1869 is a lot earlier than I would have dated the badge and I have still not been able to associate it with the QV Rifles. I think I can assume it is NOT Northumberland Fus.
My knowledge of UK geography is not good: is the old asylum gardens site anywhere near a regimental depot?