British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-12, 06:22 PM

Default BSAP Metal Badges

I have had these three small badges for some time now, but don't know what they were for. Possibly to wear with civvies? I have placed another small BSAP enamel badge with for size comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave`s Pics 001.jpg (75.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-10-12, 09:55 AM

Hi, i have never seen those before, most interesting.I do not recall anything like that when i was in the BSAP until 1979. I see you are also from Pinetown
Bill
Old 11-10-12, 05:40 PM

Hi Bill,
These all come from ex-members of the BSAP and have similar designs as per the larger cloth arm patches. I don't know how many of the different designs (sub-units) were produced.
Regards, Dave
Old 12-10-12, 10:02 AM

Hi Dave
This is quite a find I think, I have never come across these before, perhaps Criag could comment. How were they fastened?; Are they not perhaps tie or lapel pins?
Bill
Old 13-10-12, 04:23 PM

Hi Bill, These were fastened by a pin at the back much the same way as old badges were fastened to clothing. Craig has seen a photo, but is also not sure of their use. He said possibly similar to a sweetheart badge, something bought from a unit shop. I don't think so, as these were all from various ex-member themselves (I know I should have asked at the time!!!) and not from their wives. So, hopefully someone will see the badges & know the answer.
Cheers, Dave
Old 14-10-12, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruwa View Post
Hi Bill, These were fastened by a pin at the back much the same way as old badges were fastened to clothing. Craig has seen a photo, but is also not sure of their use. He said possibly similar to a sweetheart badge, something bought from a unit shop. I don't think so, as these were all from various ex-member themselves (I know I should have asked at the time!!!) and not from their wives. So, hopefully someone will see the badges & know the answer.
Cheers, Dave
Simple. Ask the BSAP Association.

http://bsap.org/
Old 14-10-12, 01:58 PM

Thanks Dave, Peter has a a good idea, someone on ther BSAP Association might know. I will ask around as well for you
Cheers
Bill
Old 15-10-12, 04:33 PM

Default BSAP metal badges

Hi Peter (& Bill), I have sent a message to a KZN member of the BSAP Forum & will await his response. Thanks, Dave
Old 22-10-12, 04:46 PM

Just for info. - feedback from a chap (ex-BSAP regular & a long time collector) of the BSAP Assoc in KZN is that he has never seen these before & assumes that they were possibly worn as lapel badges.
Old 22-10-12, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruwa View Post
Just for info. - feedback from a chap (ex-BSAP regular & a long time collector) of the BSAP Assoc in KZN is that he has never seen these before & assumes that they were possibly worn as lapel badges.
I would also think that if Craig Fourie hadn't seen them then they wouldn't have been issued during the Bush War.
Old 24-10-12, 05:28 PM

Thanks Peter, but I am of the opinion that these were worn by members of the various units or sections as lapel badges. I don't believe that they were SA made due to the fastening pin structure as worn by SA forces & civvies alike in the late 1970's. A lot of badges have appeared over the past few years that few collectors have seen, but are never-the-less genuine. Craig has also come across previously unknown badges. So, I am still hoping to find someone who knows about these. They came from two different ex-BSAP members who served in different sections of the BSAP.
Cheers, Dave