British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-21, 03:10 PM

Default Royal Marine Cap Badge

Please Could you help me in trying to finish a chapter in my book. The Royal Marine Provost from No 35 Provost Company arrived in Singapore in September 1945 until 1946. I wish to put in an image of the correct Royal Marine cap badge worn at that time. The Naval Provost Marshall at that time was Lt Cdr Penforld. RN, assisted by Lt or Major F H Little RM. Thank you in advance. HW
Old 07-01-21, 09:22 AM

Hi HW
You will be better off posting this in the Royal Navy section as it may get missed here.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 07-01-21, 11:02 AM

Why would it be anything other than the normal RM cap badge? Or are you talking about Royal Marine Police? They wore a globe and Laurel in silver if I remember right.
Old 07-01-21, 11:39 AM

All I am looking for is to show the correct ROYAL MARINE badge at the time as I am not so good on RM badges when I see so much on variations on these pages. This has nothing to do with the Royal Marine Police which was a pensioner force and only in the UK. The Provost I know would have been the standard RM badge but wanted to be correct so as not to be criticised by using the wrong image. Thank you.
Old 07-01-21, 11:44 AM

Default RM cap badge

By the way thank you Alex for your suggestion. Hope you are OK. I'm still plodding on with the book. Will be in touch. Harry.
Old 07-01-21, 01:23 PM

wouldn't they have just been Royal Navy Provost? I don't remember seeing a dedicated RM Provost?????
Old 07-01-21, 02:18 PM

Found an article By CAPT. FRANK COX, R.M. from the 1946 edition of "The Globe and Laurel" (The Journal of the Royal Marines).

"In my recent visit to Singapore I had opportunity of seeing the very good work which has been done by the 35 Royal Marine Provost Company.
Under the command of Major F. H. Little, R.M.,who has been made Provost Marshall of Malaya, and his assisting officers, Capt. L. Randall, R.M., Capt. J. Starrit, R.M., and Lieut, J. Cordeaux, R.M., this Provost Company has done valuable work in clearing up the crime which has resulted from the Japanese occupation."

Also found another titled "Royal Marine Provost" which includes a photo labeled 'RMP Patrol - Singapore 1945'.

https://rmhistorical.com/files/content/RM%20Provost.pdf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM Provost.jpg (97.1 KB, 13 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 07-01-21, 07:09 PM

Well you live and learn.
Old 07-01-21, 07:13 PM

Default Royal Marine badge

What a lot of forthcoming info after just a query about a badge. You never know what is out there . Never mind thank you everyone for their input. Just hope I use the correct image. Harry.
Old 07-01-21, 07:56 PM

It would be a standard brass, king's crown Royal Marine cap badge. Going by the drawing.
Old 08-01-21, 07:15 AM

Hi Harry
All good thanks, I hope all is ok with you and you are surviving the madness ok. Great to see you are still working on this project, it'll be a very valuable reference once you are done!
Cheers,
Alex