British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-05-23, 06:12 PM

Default RNVR(SA) Postcard

I have today purchased the postcard shown below. It is apparently of personnel of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (South African Division). The seller also told me that it dated from 1915. I have examined the tallies through a magnifying glass and they appear to read 'RNVR SOUTH AFRICA'. I gather that this was the tally worn by RNVR (SA) members that were on active duty in South Africa during WW1.

I have tried to find pictures of RNVR(SA) ratings from this period for comparison but have had no success. The postcard is unused so there are no addresses or stamps or any form of message to help identify it's origin or date. The only things on the back are 'POST CARD', 'This Space for Communication', and 'The address to be written here' - all in English.

I'm hoping that someone can confirm that these men are RNVR(SA) and the date. Any other information you could give would be much appreciated.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNVR(SA).jpg (60.0 KB, 51 views)
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II

Last edited by Guzzman; 02-05-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 05:34 AM

Hi Pete
The only way to tell would, I think, be through the cap ribbons. If it is RNVR South Africa on the ribbons as you say it might be, then that's about all you can look for I think. Does there appear to be a crown and anchor between the "RNVR' & the 'SOUTH AFRICA", as that would be a good indication?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-05-23, 07:51 AM

Default RNVR(SA) Postcard

Hi Alex! I hope you're keeping well.

Yes, there is a crown and anchor between RNVR and SOUTH AFRICA. Even with the aid of a large magnifier it is difficult to make out what is visible on some of the tallies, but some are more easy to make out than others. Often there is only one word on each tally that is legible but from putting them all together it is possible to confirm that they all read as above.

So am I right in believing that personnel serving in South Africa wore the above tally while those serving with the RN tended to wear the tally of the ship they were serving in?

On a slightly different topic, a friend of mine acquired a mixed selection of cap tallies recently, including a South African SWANS tally. I guess that these are pretty scarce, considering the short time they existed and the small number of women that served in the SWANS? Because of it's scarcity he has decided to send it to an auction house to sell it. Do they turn up very often?

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 20-07-23, 05:37 AM

Hi Pete
I missed this post. What is on the SWANS tally? I am not aware of a bespoke SWANS tally, they only wore S(crown/anchor)A, so is that the one he has?
Also, yes, I would expect SA personnel serving in RN ships to wear the tally of the respective ship.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-07-23, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
On a slightly different topic, a friend of mine acquired a mixed selection of cap tallies recently, including a South African SWANS tally. I guess that these are pretty scarce, considering the short time they existed and the small number of women that served in the SWANS? Because of it's scarcity he has decided to send it to an auction house to sell it. Do they turn up very often?

Pete
Found this :

Quote:
only 269 women served. Between 1943 and 1949 there were only 316 members. And the total number of officers in the SWANS was 2 - and one was appointed after the other left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Pete
I missed this post. What is on the SWANS tally? I am not aware of a bespoke SWANS tally, they only wore S(crown/anchor)A, so is that the one he has?

Alex
Found this :

Quote:
SCARCE WW2 SOUTH AFRICA FEMALE TALLY
http://www.rbjmilitaria.com/royal-navy-cap-tallies

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 20-07-23, 04:46 PM

Just need to make a small correction to the following quote

Quote:
only 269 women served. Between 1943 and 1949 there were only 316 members. And the total number of officers in the SWANS was 2 - and one was appointed after the other left

There were a total of 316 SWANS that served between 1943 and 1949. This included 3 officers, though only 2 ever served at the same time.

The 269 refers to the group that joined after the initial 47 had joined from other services (WAAS and WAAF). The initial group was 1 officer and 46 other ranks.
Old 21-07-23, 05:52 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks , I just did a quick post and didn't pay to much attention to the info.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted