British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-23, 08:30 PM

Default Pathfinder Badge?

Hello Gents,
I’ve had this badge for many years it came via my father’s effects, he was in the RAF in WW2 but in a ground trade mainly based in Canada. The badge is as far I can ascertain genuine RAF type/issue, unmarked with a well constructed rear fixing. I vaguely remember my mother wearing it. Is it sweet heart or the genuine article, is their any way of identifying it?
Thanks for any help.
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B76AC680-2E62-499E-9380-7EA8DC29D55B.jpg (58.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 89123737-9D15-42A1-AA80-692133390FF2.jpg (53.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-05-23, 07:30 AM

Hi Richard,

It is a fickled web of eagles when collectors consider what is & what is not a Pathfinder badge. There are a couple of great threads on this site, including posts from a chap who works at a Pathfinder museum, that are well worth the read.

The fact of the matter is that any side cap eagle badge could be & was worn, as a Pathfinder badge but without provenance they are just eagle badges.
There is a badge shown in Eagles Recalled by Warren Carroll with a similar pin & rolled C catch to yours but not identical. Generally if you can see where the posts, etc. may have been removed, it may point to a sweet heart badge & not a Pathfinder badge but again, without provenance, its difficult to know.
Badges with lugs, blades, screw posts or pins; they used them all. But were they replacements, extras? You can see the waters start becoming murky...

I have a couple of what I think are Pathfinder badges & one may have question marks against it but the other at least came still attached to an ex-Pathfinder's RAF 60s uniform. That one has lugs! Was the badge awarded to him in mid WW2 or one of a few extras? I don't know? HE considered it his Pathfinder badge & that's good enough for me.

Have a read of the previous posts on this site & see what you think?

If you want yourself a real challenge, try finding one of the Path Finder Force certificates presented with the badge

Best regards,
David
Old 03-05-23, 01:42 AM

Default Pathfinder Badge

Thanks David for your prompt and very interesting reply. I will have a root through the Pathfinder threads for further information. Alas no providence on my badge that I can find but I will keep digging.
Thanks again,
Richard