British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-18, 02:02 AM

Default Do they take us for mugs?

The attached photos should serve as a warning to those considering buying 'combination patches'.

This one came as a by-product of another purchase and is worth considering in a little detail

a) Was the combination of badges likely to have existed?

b) A quick check in Joslen's Orders of battle ( a 'must have' book for serious collectors IMO) shows that there was NOT a Middlesex Regt Bn attached to any of the 15th ()Scottish) Division's component Brigades during the 1939-45 period.

c) On-line references revealed '1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment (from 1 October 1943, joined as Support Battalion, became Machine Gun Battalion 18 March 1944)'.

d) So, if a 'Machine Gun' Bn the Middlesex would not have displayed an Arm-of-Service strip for the senior Brigade.

e) There remains a possibility that a Middlesex Regt soldier was attached to the senior Brigade, perhaps in an HQ/ Staff role, but that is conjecture.

f) Examine the combination closely, and you will see traces of the manufacturer having used Blu-tac beneath the title and AoS strip- was this available to WW2 regimental tailers? I think not.

g) Look at the stitching. Were coloured threads so readily available that they could be used to make up combinations.

Conclusion- someone tried to take collectors for a ride. Its a fake, made to rip off the unwary. I wonder how many more exist like this: there certainly has been a glut of such titles reaching the market in the last few years.

Let the buyer beware.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4153.jpg (81.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4154.jpg (76.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4155.jpg (44.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4156.jpg (67.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-10-18, 05:28 AM

Stephen, From an article on Sgt Bishop and his career in the Middlesex Regiment, published in Militaria. Mike
Sgt Godfrey.1 Mx.doc
Old 01-10-18, 07:13 AM

Default Do they take us for mugs

Thanks Mike,

OK, so I might be wrong about the format- but I still don't understand why he is wearing a single AoS strip.

My point was that someone has fabricated a fake patch, and that we all need to take things at more than face value when purchasing.

Stephen.

PS- I suppose next someone will prove that Blu-tac did exist in 1944...or is it US Army chewing gum.
Old 01-10-18, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Thanks Mike,

OK, so I might be wrong about the format- but I still don't understand why he is wearing a single AoS strip.

My point was that someone has fabricated a fake patch, and that we all need to take things at more than face value when purchasing.

Stephen.

PS- I suppose next someone will prove that Blu-tac did exist in 1944...or is it US Army chewing gum.
I think that as a generalisation, it was the practice for Infantrymen of any rank serving in an Inf Div HQ or in Divisional units (such as the Support/MG Bn) to wear a single Infantry AoS strip. However, this being the British Army other formations had other accepted practices - in some Inf Divs HQ staff or all ranks at Div HQ and Bde HQ level would wear a small patch - usually a simple piece of coloured felt - to indicate their membership of the HQ. This was the practice in 3 Inf Div, In other Inf Divs members of, for example, Fd Regts RA or Coys, R Signals would wear one, two or three AoS strips in order to indicate to which Inf Bde they were in support of. I have examples from 56 Inf Div Gunners and 61 Inf Div Signals. As always, the bottom line is "never say never"! Mike
Old 01-10-18, 09:48 AM

Thanks Mike.

Stephen.
Old 01-10-18, 10:08 AM

hi guys
pause for thought!
In Morris vol 2 formation signs on page 115/16 item 60 in that chapter he shows the 9 as a diamond / square on its points and not a square for the 9th Middlesex on the pages 45 to 48 he shows other Middlesex badges as squares and rectangles these are divided vertical and not corner to corner where the pic that Mike has shown shows it being the correct rectangle divided vertical yellow and red where Stephens post shows it as a square divided corner to corner did they wear them like that ?
On another point the pic that Mike has shown shows the combination as being just the 15th , arm of service and the Middlesex flash the title being stitched on separately from the rest of the patches the outline can be made out all the way round the combination also the shoulder title is of the correct larger format for the period just something to think about ?
ATB Steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 01-10-18, 11:24 AM

Made on a kitchen table a week last Saturday. Like so many of them appearing of late.
Old 01-10-18, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Over the years I have worn many badges and patches and the odd thing was when I had finished with them I unstitched the threads and took them off and put them away. At no point did I feel the need to cut the whole sleeve off a perfectly usable shirt or jacket. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-18, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Over the years I have worn many badges and patches and the odd thing was when I had finished with them I unstitched the threads and took them off and put them away. At no point did I feel the need to cut the whole sleeve off a perfectly usable shirt or jacket. Just a thought.
over the years i have found parts of tunics ie wwi cuff ranks sleeves with rank etc on them , WWII BD shoulder areas which have been cut of off tunics normally when they have kept there tunic and its got mothed so they cut the shoulder off to save time its not a commonly done thing but does happen steve

MINE
Old 01-10-18, 02:24 PM

Still no explanation of the Blu-tac...

Stephen.
Old 01-10-18, 03:09 PM

I think there could a few people out there feeling for the hidden blu tac bumps in their similar stitched on badges.
Old 01-10-18, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Still no explanation of the Blu-tac...

Stephen.
ITS WILLY WONKA'S BLUEBERRY FLAVOR CHEWING GUM !!

MINE
Old 01-10-18, 06:27 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I have always wondered why anyone would cut up a perfectly good BD just to keep the insignia when it could be unstitched and removed, these combinations seem to have proliferated since the origins of online sales.

Rob
Old 01-10-18, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have always wondered why anyone would cut up a perfectly good BD just to keep the insignia when it could be unstitched and removed, these combinations seem to have proliferated since the origins of online sales.

Rob
I do agree with you you never ever rarely saw them and now they seem to be everywhere I wounder how many 49 pattern trousers are getting cut up ? steve

MINE

Last edited by ASR142; 01-10-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 07:26 PM

Totally agree with ASR142 and others, years ago you never saw them, I believe 99% are made up. Tim