British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-20, 05:26 PM

Default Volunteer Artillery collection

Hello,

Since joining the Forum, aside from being able to read and learn so much from fellow members discussions on many subjects, I’ve greatly enjoyed and appreciate the opportunities to view insignia that others share.
With that in mind I wanted to reciprocate and thought I’d start by sharing my collection of Volunteer Artillery shoulder titles.

According to Norman Litchfield , the abbreviated titles were worn pre 1878, the full worded county titles authorised for wear from 1905 until formation of of the Territorial Force in 1908.

Have to say a big thank you to my friends Paul and Dean for between them kindly sorting the Edinburgh City VA busby badge and plume plus all the help and encouragement they’ve given me in my collecting interests over the years.

This collection is still very much work in progress.
There are a couple of composite examples shown and it does include a pair of Militia lurkers which if not included will never see the light of day....😁

Apologies for not creating an album and showing individual photos, hopefully in future when time permits I will do so.

I hope this may be of interest and if anyone has other examples not shown, I would very much like to see photos or hear from you.

Thanks for looking.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D951DDD9-9E99-4988-97FA-735E6D7F300F.jpg (73.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg CBE320D0-D370-458D-B007-920A41EA6233.jpg (64.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 03B9FAE4-5034-46EF-AC67-AFF69AD92D5D.jpg (59.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 15-08-20, 05:36 PM

Pffff. That is quite a lot. And neatly framed and shown.

Thanks.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 15-08-20, 06:47 PM

Nice collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 15-08-20 at 06:58 PM.
Old 15-08-20, 06:58 PM

Default Vols artillery

Hi,
Great collection, looks fantastic.
Eddie
Old 15-08-20, 06:59 PM

There’s these too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 15-08-20, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longdog View Post
Hello,

Since joining the Forum, aside from being able to read and learn so much from fellow members discussions on many subjects, I’ve greatly enjoyed and appreciate the opportunities to view insignia that others share.
With that in mind I wanted to reciprocate and thought I’d start by sharing my collection of Volunteer Artillery shoulder titles.

According to Norman Litchfield , the abbreviated titles were worn pre 1878, the full worded county titles authorised for wear from 1905 until formation of of the Territorial Force in 1908.

Have to say a big thank you to my friends Paul and Dean for between them kindly sorting the Edinburgh City VA busby badge and plume plus all the help and encouragement they’ve given me in my collecting interests over the years.

This collection is still very much work in progress.
There are a couple of composite examples shown and it does include a pair of Militia lurkers which if not included will never see the light of day....😁

Apologies for not creating an album and showing individual photos, hopefully in future when time permits I will do so.

I hope this may be of interest and if anyone has other examples not shown, I would very much like to see photos or hear from you.

Thanks for looking.

Pat

Hi pat, what’s the 1 nva for
Old 15-08-20, 07:05 PM

Pat nice collection Still have some titles from the remains of my R Sussex collection -1/RA /SUSSEX ,2/RA/SUSSEX and R/1/RA/CINQUEPORTS .These were from the Tracy collection sold by SOTHEBY KING AND CHASEMORE 18/11/82 It was a 2 day sale of his artillery collection
The R/1/RA /CINQUEPORTS is of interest as this was worn by his grandfather A serious knowledgeable collector on here has other items to this gent
Only other wm item is T/RGA /KENT &SUSSEX from the same source
David
Old 15-08-20, 07:21 PM

Lovely collection.
Not seen the 3 & 8 Lancs before.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-08-20, 07:34 PM

All,
Thanks for the comments and pleased the display is of interest.

Norfolk Regt Man:
Thank you for showing other title examples worn including cadet units, great to see. In response to your question, the title is Northumberland related, please see photo from Norman Litchfield reference works.

David,
I recall the Royal Sussex album you previously posted and message kindly sent with information relating to the Tracy Artillery collection, most informative and again highlighted the fact we are appreciative custodians of this insignia.
When viewing the Prof Thomas collection a few years back, the section containing pre 1881 collar badges started with a notation that the basis / foundation of This element of his far reaching collection began via a purchase from Wallis & Wallis in the early 1960’s.
Norman was a great help and I owe him a debt of gratitude. I corresponded a fair bit with him over a few years and he gave me great guidance and thoughts / insight into this period of non regular Artillery Corps and what they were about.
Would very much like to find an example of the 1st RA Sussex corps worn if it becomes available.

Thanks once again
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F56AEE5-5C36-4CFC-8541-1EC44D694B33.jpg (54.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 4201C111-0CA6-49BD-B17B-AE2596B11F02.jpg (54.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-08-20, 07:49 PM

Hello Simon

You’ve a keen eye sir 😁.
Neither Corps titles are noted in Westlake and Litchfield reference works.
Both the 3rd and 8th Lancashire VA Corps titles were sourced direct from family connections.
I do in fact have a pair of the 3rd VA Lancashire titles though I don’t tend to double up the title element of my collection even though they obviously were issued and worn that way.
Of the 9 Corps that were in existence at the time of introduction of metal shoulder titles, it’s believed the remainder wore a generic RA / Lancashire pattern.

Pat
Old 15-08-20, 07:59 PM

Eddie,

Hope you’re keeping well and pleased you enjoyed seeing my VA display mate, I’m still searching for a multi piece Monmouth example as you’ve got in your superb collection mate 😁.

Can you, or anyone, possibly shed light on whether a metal title exists for either the Cardiganshire or Carnarvonshire VA Corps please ?

The question / thought has bugged for me for years and it would be fantastic to know the answer.

Thanks
Pat
Old 15-08-20, 08:19 PM

Pat many thanks for your kind response to my post
David
Old 15-08-20, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Eddie,

Hope you’re keeping well and pleased you enjoyed seeing my VA display mate, I’m still searching for a multi piece Monmouth example as you’ve got in your superb collection mate 😁.

Can you, or anyone, possibly shed light on whether a metal title exists for either the Cardiganshire or Carnarvonshire VA Corps please ?

The question / thought has bugged for me for years and it would be fantastic to know the answer.

Thanks
Pat
Hi Pat,
Just emailed the information that I have.

All the best,
Dave
Old 15-08-20, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hello Simon

You’ve a keen eye sir 😁.
Neither Corps titles are noted in Westlake and Litchfield reference works.
Both the 3rd and 8th Lancashire VA Corps titles were sourced direct from family connections.
I do in fact have a pair of the 3rd VA Lancashire titles though I don’t tend to double up the title element of my collection even though they obviously were issued and worn that way.
Of the 9 Corps that were in existence at the time of introduction of metal shoulder titles, it’s believed the remainder wore a generic RA / Lancashire pattern.

Pat
Pat,

thats good to know. Thank you.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-08-20, 03:31 AM

Smile

Your titles are always well laid out with military precision Pat and some splendid examples on there. Soft spot for 1 RA Durham and 4 RA Durham. Always good to see a quality collection curated. A plumed Edinburgh City VA is a treat to see. Much better than in a shoebox any day.

Cheers Dean