British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-20, 08:05 PM

Default WRNR branch badge question

What is the correct badge for the Women's Royal Naval Reserve Degaussing Branch?

Marc
Old 12-07-20, 08:23 PM

From IWM :

"Degaussing qualification badge to the Womens Royal Naval Reserve, being a vertical missile superimposed over a horizontal torpedo, four lightning flashes extending outward on the diagonals, all embroidered blue on a dark blue tombstone shaped backing."

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30062959

Edit :

Found a different description/badge on another site (and badge on eBay) :

"Diagonal lightning flashings with letters 'DG' in centre - Degaussing WRNR"

http://www.godfreydykes.info/THE_WRN...S_SERVICES.htm

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 12-07-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-07-20, 08:30 PM

I thought it was crossed lightning with DG in the middle.
Old 12-07-20, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I thought it was crossed lightning with DG in the middle.
That is what 2 other sites say as well

Old 12-07-20, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
From IWM :

"Degaussing qualification badge to the Womens Royal Naval Reserve, being a vertical missile superimposed over a horizontal torpedo, four lightning flashes extending outward on the diagonals, all embroidered blue on a dark blue tombstone shaped backing."
It was their entry that raised my question, as I have the same sealed pattern, the badge attached is as described above, which I believe is for the 'Warfare Branch'.

Maybe we can not trust that sealed patterns are completely correct.

Marc
Old 12-07-20, 09:16 PM

Looks like the IWM screwed up , found this on another site.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRNR.jpg (77.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 13-07-20, 09:20 AM

Two sealed patterns that I have.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 14-07-20, 07:57 AM

Default WRNR branch badge question

I'm not in the least surprised that the I.W.M. got it wrong. I've long since lost faith in any of the major museums - I.W.M., National Maritime Museum or the Royal Naval Museum (now part of the National Museum of the Royal Navy) - when it comes to correctly identifying some of the most basic badges or buttons. Take the online collections of the N.M.M. for instance - these are full of images of badges and buttons which even the newest collector can identify but which are labelled as 'unknown'! They do ask if anyone can help to identify them but although I have in the past provided detailed information as to the identity of items, they have never amended their staus from 'unknown'. I just don't bother these days.

I've also contacted the I.W.M. and the Royal Naval Museum for additional information re items and their replies have shown that they obviously know less about them than I do! For instance, I asked the I.W.M. for information on the Hydrophone Operators badge worn during the First World War. I was told that such a badge had been designed but never issued, although the reason I had contacted them was because I had one still attached to the original uniform and pictures of it being worn! When I pointed this out to them they still insisted that the badge had never been issued - because that's what it said on their records.

The problem seems to be that although the staff are highly qualified in terms of how to display items, conserve them, interpret them, etc., they have very little knowledge of the items themselves or about life in the Navy. When I first left the Navy I thought about following a career in maritime museums. I completed a Masters degree in Museum Studies and applied for several positions. I didn't get any of them. When I asked for feedback as to why I didn't get the job I was told every time that there were two things against me - firstly, that I was interested in collecting naval memorabilia, and secondly that I had actually been to sea! I don't know whether they thought that because I collected naval badges that I might be tempted to steal the collections but the second reason given was simply an insult to all seafafers.

Pete
Old 14-07-20, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Two sealed patterns that I have.

Marc
They look like a logical progression, the DG with lightning flashes being based upon the electrical branch badges and the torpedo/missile based upon the Operator/Mechanic badges that replaced them in the 80s.