British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16-02-24, 07:41 PM
hindoostan hindoostan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 666
Default Royal Warks Bugler

I just wondered the significance of all the cording worn by my Uncle Alf in the first photo.
Served in France, wounded. He is seen carrying a bugle but has a drummers badge on his arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20240216163311.jpg (56.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20240216163245.jpg (51.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20240216193422.jpg (39.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20240216163253.jpg (41.8 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16-02-24, 07:56 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,376
Default

The regiment's Drummers were the buglers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-02-24, 10:07 AM
Toby Purcell's Avatar
Toby Purcell Toby Purcell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Completed colour service and retired
Posts: 3,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindoostan View Post
I just wondered the significance of all the cording worn by my Uncle Alf in the first photo.
Served in France, wounded. He is seen carrying a bugle but has a drummers badge on his arm.
Light infantry and rifle regiments had no corps of drums and instead favoured corps of bugles and, in both cases, wore a bugle as arm badge (doubled for rifles). Battalion routine was marked out (sounded) by bugles throughout the day.

All other types of infantry had a corps of drums, whose members were required to be competent also with bugle and fife (military flute). They wore as their badge a drum, but as with the light infantry the days routine was sounded by the bugle.

From just after the 2nd Boer War festooned dress cords were worn at the shoulder and breast to mark out the drummers and buglers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13-04-24, 01:30 PM
grumpy grumpy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,481
Default

The New Armies ['Kitchener's Army'] were not Established for 'music' of any kind: no Corps of Drums / Bugles, no Band.

That is not to say that such music did not sometimes appear .......... ways and means.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-04-24, 07:32 PM
Toby Purcell's Avatar
Toby Purcell Toby Purcell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Completed colour service and retired
Posts: 3,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
The New Armies ['Kitchener's Army'] were not Established for 'music' of any kind: no Corps of Drums / Bugles, no Band.

That is not to say that such music did not sometimes appear .......... ways and means.
They were formed for the duration of hostilities only. No need for sounding barracks routine in a trench. Nor were there Sunday bandstand sessions to entertain and impress the public with the musical prowess of their local regiment. The ‘music’ came from the morning and evening hate. It’s a comparison of apples and pears.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-04-24, 09:37 PM
grumpy grumpy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
They were formed for the duration of hostilities only. No need for sounding barracks routine in a trench. Nor were there Sunday bandstand sessions to entertain and impress the public with the musical prowess of their local regiment. The ‘music’ came from the morning and evening hate. It’s a comparison of apples and pears.
Your point being?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

mhs link

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.