British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-16, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton407545 View Post
Hi guys,
the date 1941 does ring a bell as being mentioned in NHL along with the berets can't remember where abouts in the book it might have been tho. in a picture I have of my grandad with about 6 other unnamed 24th lancers there is a mixture of black berets and side caps being worn all of the men in the picture are Sergeants.
Which makes me think the berets where being issued gradually to certain squadrons at a time maybe?
Hi Norton,

Would there be any chance at all please of you uploading the photo of your Grandad and group with the mixed headdress?

Kind Regards,

FMT600
Old 06-07-16, 12:13 PM

Hi FMT600,

On page 13, in NHL, it does mention the issue of the beret, yes. I would therefore estimate on the basis of the content that around Spring 1941 they were issued the beret.

So, I probably had one of the other five regiments in mind, or I'm going potty - or both!

Best,

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus H; 06-07-16 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-07-16, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H View Post
Hi FMT600,

On page 13, in NHL, it does mention the issue of the beret, yes. I would therefore estimate on the basis of the content that around Spring 1941 they were issued the beret.

So, I probably had one of the other five regiments in mind, or I'm going potty - or both!

Best,

Marcus
Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for taking time to take a look in the book and for confirming that.

Cheers,

FMT600
Old 06-07-16, 02:12 PM

Hi FMT600,

How on earth did we miss this! The issue date for the black berets was the 15th May, 1941; as stated in Peter's book "For Hostilities Only."

Best,

Marcus
Old 07-07-16, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
Hi Norton,

Would there be any chance at all please of you uploading the photo of your Grandad and group with the mixed headdress?

Kind Regards,

FMT600
Hi FMT600
I will upload the photograph I did try yesterday from my phone but kept getting a message about low memory? so it wouldn't load but I will try again from my tablet tonight. The pictures a bit blurry I've tried to find a possible location and date but not found anyone who can help yet. But as my grandad is a sergeant in the photo it must be after December 1940 and before he had a beret so guessing it was sometime in 1941 by the looks if the grass around them being pretty over grown I'd guess late spring/ summer which could have put it either June 1941 at Keldy Castle or August 1941 at Whitby.
Old 07-07-16, 06:06 PM

For information. I was at the C W G cemeterey Jerusalem Cross roads in June attending a service for the members of the Inn's of Court Regiment buried there. It is i belive the smallest of their cemetereys with only 48 graves, as Ken Westwood points out in the regimental history None Had Lances (Leonard Willis ). As i carry the Association Standard i get to view the graves for a fair while as the commemoration is ongoing. Buried to my front were Major Sir Robert Arbuthnot, Captain Ian Kerr and Tpr Ronald Quinn. All the graves were given a red rose by local children.The history notes Northern as P.H. ( Tim).
Regards. Phil.
Old 07-07-16, 08:40 PM

Hopefully the picture uploaded this time. Im afraid its not a very clear photo. So u cant really make out any cap badges but according to my nana who i got the photo off they were all my grandads mates and all 24th lancers

regards
shaun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150721_105901.jpg (44.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-07-16, 10:26 AM
Hanbut

Now that is an original 24th Lancers beret badge NOT the one sold by the badge dealer from Wales Andy P ? who got very upset when I told him it was a fake. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=24th+lancers
Old 08-07-16, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton407545 View Post
Hopefully the picture uploaded this time. Im afraid its not a very clear photo. So u cant really make out any cap badges but according to my nana who i got the photo off they were all my grandads mates and all 24th lancers

regards
shaun
Shaun,

Many thanks for sharing, what a great photo.

Kind regards,

FMT600