British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-13, 07:37 PM

Default Merchant Taylors School O.T.C.

Hi,
this is probably a daft question but I am going to ask it any way.
Merchant Taylors School O.T.C. I know that there are two schools with the same name, one is Merchant Taylors School Crosby on Merseyside and the other one is Merchant Taylors School at Northwood Hertfordshire.
But the question is did these both use the same cap badges and shoulder titles.
Have looked at Alan O great album on this forum for O.T.C. and he has Merchant Taylors School as formed 21st July 1908.
Have found two images of the school coat of arms on the net and they look very much the same.
Was the school at Crosby formed later than this date, I cant find any other information about the two schools, apart from the reference in Keith Rawlings book saying that the two schools had there own shoulder titles reference 1272 for Merchant Taylors OTC and 1278 for MTS OTC CROSBY.
have put a couple of images as reference.
Any help would be great, many thanks.
Andy
Old 22-07-13, 07:20 AM

The best person to answer this question is Grey Green Acorn who was a member of the MTS Crosby CCF, in the meantime below is a picture of the MTS Crosby items from my collection.

See items 25 ( cloth title ) 28 ( metal title ) 29 ( cap badge ) 30 ( metal title ) 35 ( officers badge ) 36 (button )

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (59.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0789.jpg (67.2 KB, 42 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 22-07-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 22-07-13, 08:32 AM

My brother went to MTS in Herts and when he was in the CCF (mid 80's) they wore the cap badge in post 1. It's still in my collection. Thanks Sepp (as in Dietrich thanks to a Germany tour in the 70s)

Ian H

Last edited by ianh67military; 22-07-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 22-07-13, 01:06 PM

I was at Merchant Taylor's School Crosby from 1962 to 1969. The school badge e.g. Worn on caps and blazers featured the two camels etc as in the earlier post.

However in my time in the CCF and I believe from earlier OTC days the military cap badge was that of the 6th Rifle Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment. In the 60s worn in a rifle green beret. Sometime in he 1970s the badge changed to the King's white horse on fleur de lys and later to the Duke of Lancaster's. the OTC title was MTS over OTC over CROSBY then MTS curved both blackened metal. The larger Full title was worn by the Northwood school who as a CCF now wear the Royal Anglian cap badge.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 22-07-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 22-07-13, 06:54 PM

This is from the end of the entry for the 6th ( Rifle ) battalion of the Kings Liverpool Regiment in the Army List for September 1915.

Similar entries in the Army Lists for January 1925 and November 1932 ie a Cadet Corps, and an entry for Merchant Taylors School OTC in the October 1940 Army List, so the change from a Cadet Corps to a unit of the OTC was between 1932 and 1940.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0793.jpg (36.1 KB, 12 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 22-07-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 23-07-13, 03:20 AM

Default Merchant Taylor's School

Can I please confirm which county the unit at Northwood were administered by: I thought it was a Middlesex unit, not Herts?

Stephen
Old 23-07-13, 10:36 AM

Entries from the Army List April 1950- both Merchant Taylor School units being part of the CCF.

Stephen, the Northwood School is shown as being in Middlesex but that does not necessarily answer your query.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0795.jpg (77.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0796.jpg (76.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 23-07-13, 01:19 PM

Default Merchant Taylors School OTC

Thanks Peter. I've not included them in my Herts interests, and John Sainsbury didn't include them in his book on the Herts cadets.

Stephen.
Old 23-07-13, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Can I please confirm which county the unit at Northwood were administered by: I thought it was a Middlesex unit, not Herts?

Stephen
Stephen, the Royal Anglian Regiment museum at Duxford shows a display of Royal Anglian affiliated CCF contingents with shoulder titles and cap badges. MTS Northwood is shown with a Royal Anglian cap badge although I thought Northwood was in Middlesex?

Tim
Old 24-07-13, 02:58 AM

Default Merchant Taylors School OTC

Thanks Tim. I think the R Ang Regt has spread beyond its original recruiting ground as a result of boundary changes to what was Eastern Command and the old TA Associations. Likewise the Irish Guards sponsor ACF in Suffolk but you still can't buy a decent pint of guiness there...

Stephen.
Old 24-07-13, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Stephen, the Royal Anglian Regiment museum at Duxford shows a display of Royal Anglian affiliated CCF contingents with shoulder titles and cap badges. MTS Northwood is shown with a Royal Anglian cap badge although I thought Northwood was in Middlesex?

Tim
On reflection was it a Royal Anglian cap badge or the two camels (perhaps a senior moment) but definitely affiliated to the Royal Anglians.
Tim