British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-13, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Value Differnces Canada/UK/Continental Europe

I am not sure if this is a correct impression or not, but when reviewing the values on Canadian badges, the prices being set overseas in the UK and continental Europe seem to higher than in Canada. In some cases considerably higher. Why would this be? Obviously supply and demand play a part. More collectors in Europe?
Thoughts.
Old 11-01-13, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
More collectors in Europe?
Thoughts.
Fewer badges?
Old 12-01-13, 02:20 AM

I think I would go with a combination of more buyers and less badges. How does it work out the other way round i.e British badges being sold in Canada?

Regards

Phil
Old 12-01-13, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I think I would go with a combination of more buyers and less badges. How does it work out the other way round i.e British badges being sold in Canada?

Regards

Phil
British badges are more a dime a dozen over here, at least out in western Canada. Total lack of familiarity with all the re-strikes, as well.

As for prices of Canadian badges in the UK, I'd speculate there are a couple of other reasons for the big disparity: lack of familiarity with prices, at least in Canada where the majority of Canadian collectors reside, hence a tendency to over-price even common badges; and eBay UK itself.

With respect to the former, maybe UK/European collectors baulk at the mailing costs from Canada, which are a minimum $8.80 actual postage costs now for international light packet, so that could affect the price if vendors factor that little 'extra' into their equations. A $10 badge with almost that much again in S&H from Canada won't look so good compared to a 10 pound badge price and only 1 pound shipping (or about $17.50 CDN).

That second fly in the ointment is eBay UK. I was going to list some British badges on Ebay UK, thinking that would be the best way to make them visible to the widest audience of interest. The UK listing fees for what I would have paid about $1.50 on eBay CA or eBay USA were over $9.80! If you've got to try and cover those sorts of listing fees for a badge (never mind the subsequent eBay cut on your sale price and S&H), no wonder your start price is so high by comparison.

Just my two bits (er, 15 new pence) worth.
Old 12-01-13, 03:46 PM

David, I agree with your comments on the mailing. It is very expensive to mail from Canada to the UK and Europe. A fees are going up next week even higher.
Old 12-01-13, 06:49 PM

During my annual visit to the UK I have not noticed many Canadian badges on offer, apart from a few dodgy 1 Can Para titles and beret badges, and the odd CEF General Service badge, with maybe a couple of RCRs and RCDs thrown in. My impression is that, quite naturally, collectors in Britain collect, primarily British and European badges (not to mention Third Reich), whereas here in Canada the interest is definitely Canadian and CEF.

I'm starting to wish that I lived in Western Canada if what DavidS says about more British badges out there, which is what I collect. Perhaps this is because of the influx of ex-pat Brits living in BC? Here in Ottawa I have found quite a few British badges over the years at the Ottawa show, but I don't get to any of the others (i.e Toronto). Even so, those selling them are fewer and far between than those selling Canadian ones. Alas, a few of the dealers I used to buy from have passed away or haven't been to the show lately. So what I'm finding is that the badges I'm looking for are becoming harder to find. I'm more likely to find them in the UK - maybe.

I refuse to resort to eBay, having been burned a couple of times in the past. One was not a British badge, I have to admit. And it was not the badge but a dodgy dealer in the States which resulted in an acrimonious exchange before being settled to my advantage, but I digress.

Prices here for British badges are cheaper than in the UK, mainly because of the exchange rate, but also because of the lack of interest in collecting them. I hadn't noticed that Canadian badges in the UK were more expensive, but then, as I said earlier, I don't think so many people collect them. And some dealers there don't know enough about them. Conversely, I find that prices for Canadian badges here are high, even sometimes for the more common ones.

The biggest problem in each case (or country) is, are the badges on offer good quality, fakes, or restrikes? Lack of knowledge by the seller in whichever country may mean that what they are offering is sometimes dubious. If I were buying Canadian badges (I do sometimes) I would much rather buy them here, where dealers are more likely to know about them.

That's my two cents worth (or tuppence).

David

Last edited by David Tremain; 12-01-13 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added a few extra words