British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-11, 08:03 PM

Default Gurkha/Indian badges unknown

Picked this lot up as a group but have not been able to find much on them but to say they must be post British period? HELP Please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100020.jpg (25.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg P1100018.jpg (31.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-09-11, 08:39 PM

Default Army Traders (India)

10 seconds on the Internet gives a none-too-subtle clue!

The Army Traders founded in 1951 and based in Dehradun, the capital city in the mountain state of Uttarakhand, India is famous world wide for manufacture of replicas of handicrafts metal crafts and medieval weapons.
The manufacturing products include:-
Gurkha khukuries, knives, daggers, Damascus blades and knives, swords, swordstick, Armour suits, helmets, bayonets, ceremonial items for the armies and regiments etc.
Our craftsmen have for generation honed their skills to levels unmatched elsewhere. All the pieces are hand made by artisans and skilled craftsman. They are fully articulated and have the finest details. All are unique, one of a kind creations and true metal works of art.
The company has more than 90 workers with its own manufacturing in three different locations with all required infrastructure and is in a position to develop new products as per customer design and specification with the state of the art R&D.
Old 06-09-11, 08:46 PM

thanks and the others?
Old 06-09-11, 08:52 PM

also so then its a company badge and not military at all?Isee they call themselves THE army traders and on the badge its only army traders .Would this be a promo badge made in 1950s?
Old 07-09-11, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionoke View Post
also so then its a company badge and not military at all?Isee they call themselves THE army traders and on the badge its only army traders .Would this be a promo badge made in 1950s?
Perhaps all are samples made by the Company, or fantasy pieces made up by apprenticies to test their skills. Why not email the Company and ask them?
Old 22-04-12, 02:25 PM

I think the badge in the middle (directly under the large badge) is a fantasy piece. They have added crossed Kukhris to an Indo - Tibetan Border Police badge.
Old 22-04-12, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
I think the badge in the middle (directly under the large badge) is a fantasy piece. They have added crossed Kukhris to an Indo - Tibetan Border Police badge.
The same probably applies to the badge of the left - Gurkhas are not noted for their close association with horses (as far as I know)
Mike
Old 22-04-12, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The same probably applies to the badge of the left - Gurkhas are not noted for their close association with horses (as far as I know)
Mike
Quite, but were at home with mules. John.
Old 23-04-12, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Quite, but were at home with mules. John.
John - This is true. However the badge appears to show a horse with bridle, bit and reins - rather than a mule's head collar. I've now reached (or overun) my equine knowledge!
Old 23-04-12, 07:21 PM

The badge at bottom is the 2nd Punjab regt cap badge.
Old 24-04-12, 04:18 PM

The 'horse' badge, sans kukris, was the old [pre-1947] badge of the Indian Army Remount Dept., which bred horses [and mules] for the mounted units. I suspect it's long defunct.

Keep in mind that for many many people, anything to do with Gurkhas is dead sexy and therefore imminently saleable! I think most if not all of these are fantasy pieces.

My tuppence worth.
Peter
Old 29-04-12, 03:42 PM
button_guru

I've just been in contact with Capt. Ashok Nath, author of IZZAT and an authority on Indain and Pakistani army badges, etc. These are his own words: They are all made up badges, except for the last one at the bottom(galley) which is to the Punjab Regt. Regards Ashok.
Rgds,
button_guru
-----------------------------------
Buttons aren't just a hobby!...........