British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-18, 12:31 PM

That chap is lacking moral fibre, my Searnt Major would say to me.
Andy
Old 17-04-18, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carruthers View Post
It’s nice to know what you have, especially as a young enthusiast with much to learn!
Quote from Blighty Militaria:
“Having spent the last 20 years collecting predominantly British Army and RAF uniforms and equipment of the two World Wars, we at Blighty Militaria have a wealth of knowledge on the items we are dealing with.”

When you tell so many lies - you’ll eventually come unstuck.

Sean
Old 17-04-18, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
That chap is lacking moral fibre, my Searnt Major would say to me.
Andy
Integrity is lost easily, and impossible to buy back.
Old 17-04-18, 07:16 PM

N5 postcode (Highbury), business must be good!
Old 17-04-18, 07:35 PM

That certainly did not take long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Old 17-04-18, 07:36 PM

Well said, another one exposed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to see that this dealer has been pretending to be a private collector.

http://blightymilitaria.com/shop.php

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/backtobli...p2047675.l2562

Sorry but this is not in the spirit of the forum.
Old 17-04-18, 07:41 PM

Retracted comment. Apologies.

Last edited by Phil2M; 18-04-18 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Misled info
Old 17-04-18, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhath View Post
Integrity is lost easily, and impossible to buy back.
Most definitely Sean, well put.
Andy
Old 18-04-18, 12:23 PM

Dear forum,

It's been very interesting to read your comments and assumptions, and honestly I am very upset by some of them. I think maybe I should tell you a little about myself as I feel your comments are unjust and ill founded.

I'm a young musician in my 20s living in London. My postcode is Highbury but really it's Hackney, not that it makes any difference to me. It's a small attic flat and wouldn't be the kind of place that someone 'doing rather well for themselves' would live, although I'm happy enough. I live here because I am a creative, it certainly wasn't chosen as some sort of business plan.

I've been collecting militaria and re-enacting since I was a boy with my Dad - He got me into all this. I got carried away with collecting and had to start selling stuff on, but there was always more things to buy! I was selling through eBay and doing two fairs a year with my Dad, mainly to get shot of all the things I couldn't afford to keep. Then a couple of years ago, with my employment looking pretty shaky and having my hours cut, I thought I'd get a website to save on eBay fees as I had more time on my hands and needed to pay the bills still. So not quite a year and a half ago me and my Dad set up the website confident that with over 20 years experience of collecting between us we could make a good start, although we knew that we would both have lots to learn. What I love about collecting and re-enacting is that there is always more to learn and you will never know it all! Anyway, 6 months ago I was made redundant and my only source of income has been selling Militaria, which has been no walk in the park. At times, if I am completely honest, it has been extremely tough.

So was I posing on here as a collector? No. Was I posing as an evil dealer out to try and screw anyone over? No. I refer to myself as a young enthusiast as that's how I view myself. Knowledgeable in some areas, and not in others such as badges but Very keen on 20th century history, in fact I live and breath it! Another reason why I have a website - Every day rather than sitting in an office I can instead be learning more about the thing I love the most.

I didn't realise that if I had a question for the forum I should have started with 'I'm a dealer and therefore a terrible person so feel free not to answer my questions'. Would it be preferred if I just didn't ask questions at all? I have never collected badges aside from the ones from my Grandfather and Great Grandfathers army career and a small selection of WW2 period printed insignia. I've had some lovely badges which I would have loved to have kept but sadly I have to move the majority of things along so I can pay my rent.

As a side point to where I choose to sell my badges: The last badge I remember posting on this forum was a nice shoulder title which I thought was authentic and wanted some second opinions on it. It turned out it was good and I followed the forum rules and offered it for sale at the recommended price as it wasn't of interest to me. I received a private message soon after from somebody wanting to buy it who paid quickly on paypal. I recognised the name on the paypal receipt immediately as that of a well know dealer. Did it bother me? Not really, I got what I was told the badge was worth. Should I have refused to sell it to him on the basis that he is one of that evil, sordid dealer race and is no doubt going to ask more money for it, therefore ripping of some poor, humble, unknowing collector?

I don't think any one of you could hold your hand up and say you've never bought a badge and sold it for more money. There's nothing wrong with that, it's your hobby and what you do with your spare time. A dealer on the other hand who spends his whole working week searching for items such as badges for you to peruse online or at a fair is totally different because he doesn't have another job but does it the full-time?

I joined this forum in 2011 and have always been amazed by the wealth of knowledge on here. Badges aren't really my thing although I like them and cloth insignia even more so. I'm keen to learn more and this forum is such a great tool. It's a shame that on every other thread I have posted I've come up against this type of bullying and ignorance.

I hope that the above may enlighten you in some way as to the person allegedly hiding behind a user name. I've now wasted a part of my morning write this and do not wish to continue in any sort of argument. Your comments have been very hurtful thus far and I request that you refrain from posting any more.

Jamie Delaney.
Old 18-04-18, 03:21 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm
If you plan on using the Forum membership to identify, date, or collect information to enhance the desirability of an item that you intend to sell, then please say so in your first post on the subject.

Stick with the rules and You'll be fine.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 18-04-18, 07:15 PM

To be fair to the guy there are others who do exactly the the same and definitely know better but don't get comments get away with it, perhaps questions on value and help with info for the purposes of selling on other sites should be posted or moved into the sales part of the forum so there is no doubt what is going on or being asked.