British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-20, 12:25 PM

Default Duke of Wellington's Rgt

So here are two variants, the slider is mounted at different heights, the RH badge is brighter and the title a more gold colour compared to the bronze colour of the LH badge. What other details should I be picking up on?

What is there to be learnt from the differences?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200923_124753.jpg (87.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by kchickenlord; 23-09-20 at 12:41 PM.
Old 23-09-20, 01:44 PM

Well, first and most importantly, when posting badges for evaluation, the reverse is always a must!
The reverse is actually the most important aspect in determining whether a badge is genuine or not , and also for potential dating.
Assuming the badges to be good, the details you mentioned are just manufacturers variations (there were a lot over the many years these badges were worn), differences in metal alloys used, and patina.

CB
Old 23-09-20, 02:58 PM

Of course, back of the badge I'll have to remember that. Is there a guide to corrosion and how to tell artificially aged pieces from genuine ones from that?
Old 23-09-20, 03:20 PM

Unfortunately no guide to how patination or corrosion should appear. Experience will often tell an artificially aged badge, but there is are no hard rules to this matter. Neither of your badges show any indication of this.

CB
Old 23-09-20, 06:51 PM

I chose those particular badges as they were duplicates. I need to set up properly and get photos of everything and match them to photos of their reverses.
Are the weights of the badges ever referenced like with some medals?
Old 23-09-20, 07:04 PM
Mr. Jackanory

The right hand badge looks like the one I bought from the PRI shop at Endcliffe Hall in 1997. It has a short slider like mine too
Old 23-09-20, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchickenlord View Post
I chose those particular badges as they were duplicates. I need to set up properly and get photos of everything and match them to photos of their reverses.
Are the weights of the badges ever referenced like with some medals?
No, badge weights are irrelevant. Only in certain cases do makers variations of a particular badge have any import either.

CB
Old 24-09-20, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
No, badge weights are irrelevant. Only in certain cases do makers variations of a particular badge have any import either.

CB
Great stuff, that's a bit of time saved.