British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-11, 08:18 AM
Banned

At least we can re-assure ourselves that the Duke is worthy of the naval positions to which he has been appointed. I know that he is much respected in the Corps as he is at Trinity House. I wonder if Nelson would have been made Lord High Admiral had he survived Trafalgar and retired ! David
Old 11-06-11, 04:23 PM

I'm sure Lord Nelson would have been made Lord High Admiral had he survived, he was also well thought of.
As you say the Duke is "A great guy and a great consort" and he's played his role almost to perfection over the years. It also goes with the job that he is titular head of certain units, however you really can't knock the old guy whether he was born on a kitchen table or not....I'll certainly raise my glass to him when all glasses are charged.

regards to all,

Iain
Old 11-06-11, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
you really can't knock the old guy whether he was born on a kitchen table or not....
Probably where some of the forum members were conceived!

Phil
Old 11-06-11, 04:50 PM

But surely his most important title is Colonel in Chief The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers that's my opinion and I'm completely unbiased of course.
. As for the Earl of Wessex , I thought he had more guts than a lot to admit that he wasn't up to doing the RM course , which is probably true of a lot of us, but didn't take advantage of his position and get fiddled through the commando course.
Old 11-06-11, 05:27 PM

Regarding whether Nelson had become Lord High Admiral or not, given the height of Nelson's column he's certainly high, he was a Viscount, and he was a Vice Admiral, so in some respects I guess he was! David
Old 11-06-11, 06:00 PM

You're quite right, few people ascend to those heights!

Iain
Old 11-06-11, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Regarding whether Nelson had become Lord High Admiral or not, given the height of Nelson's column he's certainly high, he was a Viscount, and he was a Vice Admiral, so in some respects I guess he was! David
A complete digression from the original topic.
I'm more interested in the four lions at the base of Nelson's Column - Sculpted by Sir Edwin Landseer after whom the black and white variety of Newfoundland Dogs are named. My furry friend Basil, being a fine example. Remember, dog is God spelled backwards - there are no greater heights, nor finer virtues. For the military enthusiast, a Newfoundland Dog named Gander was a hero of the Battle of Hong Kong.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basil.jpg (36.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 11-06-11 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 07:58 PM

I noticed the Earl of Wessex appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for todays trooping in the uniform of Colonel of the London Scottish

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-06-11, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I noticed the Earl of Wessex appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for todays trooping in the uniform of Colonel of the London Scottish

P.B.
I suppose the London Scottish - present and former - must be really chuffed ! Or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-11, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
But surely his most important title is Colonel in Chief The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers that's my opinion and I'm completely unbiased of course.
. As for the Earl of Wessex , I thought he had more guts than a lot to admit that he wasn't up to doing the RM course , which is probably true of a lot of us, but didn't take advantage of his position and get fiddled through the commando course.
Quite agree! and I trust all those who are critical of him not completing the commando course are all fully qualified commandos who KNOW what it takes to EARN a green beret! after all the person who tries and fails knows far more and shows guts than those who never had the courage to try at all!
Old 11-06-11, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Quite agree! and I trust all those who are critical of him not completing the commando course are all fully qualified commandos who KNOW what it takes to EARN a green beret! after all the person who tries and fails knows far more and shows guts than those who never had the courage to try at all!
There is also an opinion out there that goes something like this : a man should know his limitations and not push himself beyond them. When I applied for the Queen's Commission I stuck to the dimensions I knew were within my capabilities. I didn't apply for the Guards, the cavalry or the Royal Marines. I had no expectations of being selected for the Parachute Regiment or the Special Air Service Regiment. Edward was persuaded (if we believe that we can be persuaded) to apply for the Royal Marines - and failed. With all the knowledge and expertise within the House of Windsor and their army of advisors, surely he could have been directed elsewhere - and prospered. Enough said ! Except one thing - you can't fiddle through the Commando Course !
Old 12-06-11, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
There is also an opinion out there that goes something like this : a man should know his limitations and not push himself beyond them. When I applied for the Queen's Commission I stuck to the dimensions I knew were within my capabilities. I didn't apply for the Guards, the cavalry or the Royal Marines. I had no expectations of being selected for the Parachute Regiment or the Special Air Service Regiment. Edward was persuaded (if we believe that we can be persuaded) to apply for the Royal Marines - and failed. With all the knowledge and expertise within the House of Windsor and their army of advisors, surely he could have been directed elsewhere - and prospered. Enough said ! Except one thing - you can't fiddle through the Commando Course !
Then you were very lucky that as a young man you knew your personal limits I , like I'm I'm sure the vast majority of people did'nt until I pushed myself and found out just what I could do! You are right, you can't fiddle through the commando course (or p company or special forces selection) and all will push you far beyond what you may have believed your "personal limits", By your way of thinking the numbers of successful candidates would be far lower because many capable men simply would'nt try!

But like you say enough said except that this is a badge forum not a platform to critisize people for what the failed at 25 years ago!
Old 06-07-11, 08:01 PM

Default the Duke of Edinburgh at 90

The Duke is a real mans man. He calls it as he sees it something that was once respected. Mountbatten was in the same mould. Essex I don't have a lot of time for. However, he was fit enough to pass the Commando course from what I was told by the training team at the time. It did take a lot of guts to walk out from officer training, all one can surmise is that he jumped out of bed one day at 0530hrs as thought @#$% this for a game of soldiers!
Rumours and only that, was the Duke was not "amused"
No one is in a fit position to comment upon the commando course unless he has completed it and preferably is/has been an instructor!
Anyway who wants a President(Protector)or god forbid a "Leader" and a republic, we tried it and it did'nt work.It reminds me of the dipsticks that want to alter the clocks again we tried it and it too did not work!

Dave Langan
(Seadayak)