British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-20, 07:36 PM

Default British General Service Button Dates

Hi all,

I found this metal detecting a possible Boer war site. I'm interested in what date range these buttons were used?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British General Service Button.jpg (73.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-08-20, 09:24 PM

Its a Kings Crown so 1902 on, a little late to get to South Africa in time for the war perhaps?

It doesn't appear to have a back makers mark, I haven't seen any conclusive proof of when these non marked buttons were made but I had wondered if they were WW1?

Is it steel or brass backed?

And it could be as late as 1952?

Sorry more questions than answers.

Rob
Old 09-08-20, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Rob. I was thinking the same thing about it being a little late. The back is steel. I've found a Victorian Rifle Regiment, a Transvaal Artillery Button (strongest case for Boer War) and a bunch of American Great Seal buttons. Bullets and bullet casings including Martini-Henry, British .303 Mk V and more modern casings that indicate British Military .303 Tracer rounds from WW2, dated "44".

I started questioning the link to the Boer War as all the American buttons with makers marks date from 1902 and the war ended in May 1902 which doesn't leave much time for uniforms to get to South Africa. I'm interested to see what else I dig up that can help solve this puzzle.